2013 Chevrolet Malibu’s Ride and Handling Challenges Segment’s Best
DETROIT – Segment-best ride and treatment was a fundamental element for dynamic engineers as they calibrated the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu sedan for customers in 100 markets on six continents .
Benefiting from continuous polish of an award-winning ball-shaped architecture, the global exploitation team matched the car ’ mho resized proportions – including across-the-board front and raise tracks – with more steer guidance and promote chassis see systems. architecture refinements produced a Malibu with European-style preciseness and comfort tailored to North America ’ s divers stove of driving conditions.
“ Our development team has been everywhere with the new Malibu, tuning the drive on rural back roads, suburban boulevards, urban freeways and fair about every early type of road conceivable, ” said Mark Moussa, ball-shaped head mastermind. “ The resultant role is the most finely tune Chevrolet mid-size sedan always, with controlled dynamics in all drive conditions. ”
A roll of integrated elements enable the dynamics of Malibu ’ s driving experience, including :
- A solid body structure as stiff as any in the global mid-size sedan market, enabling more precise tuning and dynamic vehicle control
- Proven and refined MacPherson strut front and four-link rear suspensions
- Hydraulic ride bushings and isolated lower A-arms that enable a more quiet and refined ride
- A premium, ZF rack-mounted electric power steering gear for smooth, precise responsiveness and greater on-center feel
- Chassis control technologies include StabiliTrak electronic stability control, with full-function traction control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist system, corner brake control, and hydraulic brake assist
big, ventilated front disk and solid rear disk brakes, clamped on by dual-piston front and single-piston rear aluminum calipers, which are expected to deliver segment-best stopping distance .
“ Whatever the surface, you feel connected to the road in the new Malibu, while besides being comfortably isolated from the imperfections and noise of the road, ” said Moussa. “ The feel behind the wheel is like that of bounty sedans that cost thousands more, with a bang-up touch of dominance at highway speeds and excellent maneuverability at low speeds. ”
An all-new, Ecotec 2.5L engine with direct injection makes its General Motors debut this summer and is Malibu ’ randomness standard engine. It has more horsepower than the current Malibu engine and greater low-rpm torsion for on-demand power whenever the driving situation calls for it. The 2.5L delivers a GM-estimated 190 horsepower ( 140 kilowatt ) and 180 lb.-ft. of torsion ( 250 Nm ) .
Chevrolet will begin production early future year with its most fuel-efficient Malibu ever with the ECO model. The Malibu ECO delivers GM-estimated 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway fuel economy, thanks to its advance eAssist light-electrification engineering, which saves fuel without compromising driveway performance. The system uses a lightweight lithium-ion battery and an electric motor-generator to enable regenerative braking electric assist and start-stop serve. It weighs entirely 65 pounds ( 29 kilogram ) and is situated in the trunk without significantly compromising space .
Malibu ECO ’ s eAssist arrangement is mated to an Ecotec 2.4L direct-injection four-cylinder locomotive and next-generation six-speed automatic transmission. It is rated at a GM-estimated 182 horsepower ( 134 kilowatt ) and 172 ft.-lbs. of torsion ( 233 Nm ) .
Strong structure and new proportions
Malibu ’ s greater impression of see starts with the body-frame built-in foundation. The body social organization is 19-percent potent than the exemplary it replaces, which translates to a more solid feel for passengers a well as enabling more accurate calibration of the abeyance and chassis components. More accurate suspension tuning supports the car ’ randomness increased feel of control .
The stiff body structure is composed of about 65 percentage high-strength steel and ultra-high-strength steel. A finite component model calculator program was used during development to ensure the optimum supreme headquarters allied powers europe and forms of the steel, thereby eliminating unnecessary material that would add weight and take away from the Malibu ’ s overall tease and handling operation – and negatively involve fuel efficiency .
Integrated within that stiffer body structure are modern proportions that provide a wider stance. Compared to the outgoing model, the 2013 Malibu ’ s 107.8-inch ( 2,738 millimeter ) wheelbase is 4.5 inches ( 114 millimeter ) inadequate, but with front and rise tracks – 62 inches each ( 1,574 millimeter ) – that are 2.5 inches ( 63 millimeter ) across-the-board in front and 2.0 inches ( 51 millimeter ) across-the-board in the rear, which helps the Malibu feel more plant in turns .
Dual paths and four links
The benefit of have with the Malibu ’ s architecture helped engineers dial in a greater degree of control through the movement and rear suspensions. They are composed of a compress, low-mass strut design in the front and a multi-link invention in the raise with a higher degree of tune and the incorporation of premium features. Highlights include :
- McPherson-strut front suspension with dual-path mountings, which separates the transfer of spring damper loads to the body to a smoother-feeling ride and an enhanced feeling of control.
- Side-load-compensated strut modules are designed to reduce the sliding friction caused by the bending load on the strut that is common in most suspension geometries, for more-precise suspension tuning. This configuration also enabled the front wheels to be moved farther outboard to enhance stability.
- Aluminum steering knuckle/strut carriers and control arms are used to minimize un-sprung weight, optimize weight distribution throughout the front suspension and intended to foster a more nimble driving feel.
- A direct-acting front stabilizer bar enables a more direct and immediate feeling to steering inputs. It is mounted to the rear portion of the engine cradle, with each end of the bar connected to the front struts. This hollow bar is also lighter than a solid bar.
- Isolated lower A-arms, with integrated ball joints, are attached via two mounting points on a sub-frame that, in turn, is mounted with four isolators to the body structure. This provides a firmer foundation for the A-arms, which helps engineers tune the suspension more precisely, while also reducing noise and vibration that could be transmitted to the interior.
- Hydraulic ride bushings in the front control arms deliver a higher degree of ride isolation, quieter performance and more controlled transfer of road inputs.
- A four-link rear suspension intended to contribute to the car’s controlled feel, with a direct-acting performance and precise calibration, thanks to its mounting directly to the stuff body structure. The four links include an upper camber link, two lower links and a trailing link. The suspension also features a hollow-section stabilizer bar.
- A family of 16 -, 17-, 18- and 19-inch five-spoke wheels and tires is matched with suspension tuning specific to each wheel size intended to optimize ride and handling.
Another component of Malibu ’ s greater feel of command is the consolidation of a rack-mounted electric exponent steering technology on all Malibu models. It is a dual-pinion system – one for steering and the other to move the rack – that is designed to deliver excellent answer and on-center characteristics. It besides helps save fuel because locomotive world power international relations and security network ’ thymine required to turn it, as is the encase with conventional hydraulic systems .
A premium ZF steering gear is used on the Malibu, which is known for torsional stiffness and lower operate on friction, which is intended to enhance the steering find with about perfect linear reply. additionally, the steering column and average rotating shaft feature potent, direct-acting and low-friction ball behave designs. That means there is about no “ lash ” in the integral steering system, which should translate to a more immediate and connected-to-the-road feel for the driver .
Variable-effort steering is offered on the Malibu. It increases the charge of world power aid during low-speed maneuvers, such as park, and decreases at higher speeds .
Confident chassis control systems
A suite of electronically controlled chassis systems are designed to enhance overall ride and handling qualities and help make for a safer travel. All are part of the StabiliTrak electronic constancy control system, which besides incorporates full-function grip master. This progressive organization reacts indiscernibly for the driver and continually adjusts to accommodate the drive site. In most drive situations, it enhances the feel of command without the driver knowing it .
When a situation arises that requires a higher level of electronic treatment – signaled by inputs detected by a gape detector mounted in the center of the vehicle – StabiliTrak will modulate the brakes at the individual wheels, reduce office or do both to help the Malibu ’ s driver remain in command. The system incorporates advanced brake features to assist in a kind of conditions, including :
- Cornering Brake Control is activated when the car is braking while cornering. Brake pressure is individually varied among all four wheels to keep the car stable.
- Panic Brake Assist helps the driver in emergency braking situations, giving the driver a higher deceleration gain than would be possible from the regular brake system booster.
- Hydraulic Brake Assist automatically increases braking pressure to compensate for brake fade under repeated applications of heavy braking.
The Malibu ’ s brake system consists of four-wheel disk, featuring 11.7-inch ( 296 millimeter ) vented front disk and dual-piston front calipers. A four-channel antilock organization is tied in with StabiliTrak to provide more see in besotted and arctic conditions .
Beyond the size and specifications of the Malibu ’ sulfur brakes, they were tuned to provide a potent, confident feel and deliver braking performance that is expected to be among the best in the segment .
The modern Malibu is available in LS, LT, ECO and LTZ models in North America. Malibu production in the United States begins in early 2012 with the ECO model. Malibu will be built in multiple locations around the globe, including the Fairfax, Kan., and Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plants in the United States. Pricing is scheduled to be announced late this class .
Founded in Detroit in 1911, Chevrolet celebrates its centennial as a global automotive sword with annual sales of about 4.25 million vehicles in more than 120 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, condom and authentic vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, game operation and value. The Chevrolet portfolio includes iconic performance cars such as Corvette and Camaro ; dependable, durable pickups and SUVs such as Silverado and Suburban ; and award-winning passenger cars and crossovers such as Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet besides offers “ gas-friendly solutions including Cruze Eco and Volt. Cruze Eco offers 42 mpg highway while Volt offers 35 miles of electric, gasoline-free driving and an extra 344 miles of extend gasoline roll, according to EPA estimates. Most raw Chevrolet models offer OnStar guard, security and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models, fuel solutions, and OnStar handiness can be found at www.chevrolet.com .
2013 CHEVROLET MALIBU PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS
Overview | Engines | Transmission | Chassis/Suspension | Brakes | Wheels/Tires | Dimensions | Capacities
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
Body style / driveline :
4-door, 5-passenger front-engine transaxle ( front-drive )
Steel body-frame integral ( unibody ) with front and rise rumple zones ; galvanized steel front fenders, hood, door panels, one-piece bodyside out panel and luggage compartment hat
global vehicle class :
Manufacturing locations ( north American models ) :
Detroit-Hamtramck, Mich .
key competitors :
Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord
back to top
Ecotec 2.5L DOHC I-4 VVT DI
Displacement ( copper. in. / milliliter ) :
152.5 / 2499
Bore & stroke ( in. / millimeter ) :
3.46 ten 3.97 / 88 x 101
Block fabric :
Cylinder head material :
operating expense camshafts, four valves per cylinder, endlessly variable star valve clock
Valve lifters :
hydraulic roller finger follower
ignition system :
fuel delivery :
hard-hitting direct injection and electronic throttle restraint
compaction ratio :
( horsepower / kilowatt @ revolutions per minute ) :
190 / 141 @ 6200 estimated, SAE certification pending
Torque ( lb.-ft. / Nm @ revolutions per minute ) :
180 / 245 @ 4500 estimated, SAE authentication pending
Recommended fuel :
Max. locomotive speed
( fuel cut-off ) :
7000 revolutions per minute
Emissions controls :
Secondary Air Injection ( SAI ) system, PZEV-capable, close-coupled, catalytic converter, positive crankcase ventilation ; evaporative system
extra features :
extended-life discharge plugs
Estimated fuel economy
( city / hwy ) :
back to top
Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic
gear ratios : ( :1 ) :
Xem thêm: How to check and top up your brake fluid
back to top
mugwump, MacPherson strut-type with dual-path mountings, specifically tuned gyrate springs, direct-acting stabilizer barricade ( hollow ) ; hydraulic ride bushings
four-link mugwump rise ; excavate stabilizer banish
traction command :
all-speed using engine torsion reduction and brake treatment
Steering type :
rack-mounted electric rack-and-pinion world power steering
Steering rack turns lock-to-lock :
Turning lap, curb-to-curb ( feet / meters ) :
37.4 / 11.4
Steering proportion :
back to top
four-wheel phonograph record w/ABS ( w/ESC )
Brake rotor diameter – front ( in / millimeter ) :
11.7 / 296 vented ; dual-piston, aluminum caliper
Brake rotor diameter – rear ( in / millimeter ) :
11.5 / 292 solid ; single-piston, aluminum caliper
back to top
Wheel size and character :
16 adam 8.5-inch aluminum
17 ten 8.5-inch aluminum
18 x 8.5-inch aluminum
19 x 8.5-inch aluminum
back to top
Wheelbase ( in / millimeter ) :
107.8 / 2738
overall length ( in / millimeter ) :
191.3 / 4859
overall width ( in / millimeter ) :
73.0 / 1854
overall stature ( in / millimeter ) :
57.6 / 1462
Front track ( in / millimeter ) :
62.1 / 1577
rise track ( in / millimeter ) :
62.0 / 1574
( front / back ) :
2 / 3
Headroom ( in / millimeter ) :
39.0 / 991 ( front )
37.6 / 955 ( rise )
Legroom ( in / millimeter ) :
42.1 / 1069 ( presence )
36.9 / 936 ( rear )
shoulder room ( in / millimeter ) :
57.5 / 1461 ( front )
57.1 / 1450 ( rear )
Hip board ( in / millimeter ) :
55.7 / 1414 ( battlefront )
54.4 / 1382 ( buttocks )
EPA passenger book
( copper foot / L ) :
100.0 / 2832
EPA interior volume
( copper foot / L ) :
116.3 / 3292
Cargo volume ( copper foot / L ) :
16.3 / 462
spinal column to top
Fuel tank ( gal / L ) :
18.5 / 70
engine anoint ( qt / L ) :
Cooling system ( qt / L ) :
Curb weight ( pound / kilogram ) :
Xem thêm: Why Does Your Car Shake When You Brake?
back to top
bill : information shown is current at time of publication .