The Office, see ” For the episode of the American TV series, see “ Product Recall “. A product recall is a request from a manufacturer to return a product after the discovery of safety issues or merchandise defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at hazard of legal action. The recall is an campaign to limit laying waste of the corporate picture and terminus ad quem indebtedness for bodied negligence, which can cause significant legal costs. It can be unmanageable, if not impossible, to determine how dearly-won can be releasing to the consumer a intersection that could endanger person ‘s animation and the economic loss resulting from undesirable promotion. Recalls are dearly-won. Costs include having to handle the recall product, replacing it and possibly being held financially creditworthy for the consequences of the remember product.
Bạn đang đọc: Product recall
A country ‘s consumer auspices laws will have specific requirements in attentiveness to intersection recalls. such regulations may include how much of the cost the manufacturer will have to bear, situations in which a recall is compulsory ( normally because the gamble is big adequate ), or penalties for failure to recall. The tauten may besides initiate a remember voluntarily, possibly national to the same regulations as if the recall were compulsory .
general steps to a merchandise echo [edit ]
A merchandise recall normally involves the postdate steps, which may differ according to local anesthetic laws :
- Maker or dealer notifies the authorities responsible of their intention to recall a product. In some cases the government can also request a recall of a product. Consumer hotlines or other communication channels are established. The scope of the recall, that is, which serial numbers or batch numbers etc. are recalled, is often specified.
- Product recall announcements are released on the respective government agency’s website (if applicable), as well as in paid notices in the metropolitan daily newspapers. In some circumstances, heightened publicity will also result in news television reports advising of the recall.
- When a consumer group learns of a recall it will also notify the public by various means.
- Typically, the consumer is advised to return the goods, regardless of condition, to the seller for a full refund or modification.
- Avenues for possible consumer compensation will vary depending on the specific laws governing consumer trade protection and the cause of recall.
Highlights of major merchandise recalls ( 1958-present ) [edit ]
1959 [edit ]
1973 [edit ]
- UK (August 1973): The Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 and Triumph Dolomite were the subject of the UK’s largest vehicle recall to date. The recall affected 103,000 cars and involved the replacement of a front radius strut in the front suspension assembly, addressing a risk that the component might break and render the car impossible to steer. The manufacturers stated they had replicated the alleged defect by driving the car into a solid kerb at between 10 and 15 mph (16–24 km/h). Despite undertaking the recall, they insisted that the condition could only “arise through misuse”.
- USA (August 1973): The Little Wonder TV antenna was recalled by the CPSC. It was one of the earliest recalls of an electronic device. The product connected the antenna terminals on the back of the TV directly to the AC mains.
1978 [edit ]
- USA (June 9, 1978) The Ford Motor Company recalled 1.5 million Ford Pintos, the largest recall in automotive history at that time, to install a modification to reduce the risk of fire.
1982 [edit ]
1986 [edit ]
- USA (1986): 1986 Excedrin Tampering A few bottles of Excedrin were poisoned with cyanide. 2 people died, and 1 recovered in the hospital. A woman named Stella Nickell was charged with product tampering, attempted murder and murder. She was sentenced to 90 years in prison.
1994 [edit ]
- Worldwide (1994) : Intel recalled the original Pentium processors due to the Pentium FDIV bug.
- USA (October 1994) : Over 500,000 Santa Barney Pom-Pom plush toys recalled due to choking and fire hazard.
1999 [edit ]
- Worldwide (late 1999) Audi recalled the original Audi TT Mk1 both Coupé and Roadster due to crashes and related fatalities that occurred at speeds in excess of 180 kilometres per hour (110 mph), during abrupt lane changes or sharp turns.
2000 [edit ]
2001 [edit ]
- November 2000-February 2001: McDonald’s recalled 234,000 of the Scooter Bug Happy Meal toys due to the risk of choking hazards.
2003 [edit ]
- Australia (April 2003): The recall of a variety of goods manufactured by Pan Pharmaceuticals as a result of failures in quality assurance and standards. The company was soon put under receivership.
2004 [edit ]
- July 2004: About 150 million pieces of jewelry obtained from vending machines were recalled due to the risk of lead poisoning.
2005 [edit ]
- United Kingdom and Canada (February 2005): Potentially carcinogenic Sudan I food colouring was found in over 400 products containing Worcester sauce and had to be recalled.
- Worldwide:June 2005: Engine stalls linked to faulty wirings on 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel engines have caused hundreds of thousands of 2004-2005 Ford Super Duty, Excursion, and Econoline models to be recalled.
2006 [edit ]
- March 2006: About 300,000 Reebok heart-shaped charm bracelets were recalled after a child died from lead poisoning after swallowing a piece from one of the charms.
- Ireland and United Kingdom (24 June 2006): Cadbury-Schweppes announced that there had been a salmonella scare surrounding its products, causing millions of chocolate bars from stores across Ireland and the UK to be recalled.
- 2006 Sony notebook computer batteries recall:
- Worldwide: August 2006: Dell recalls over four million notebook computer batteries, after several instances where the batteries, made by Sony, overheated or caught fire. Most of the defective notebooks were sold in the US, however, some one million faulty batteries could be found elsewhere in the world.
- August 2006: Following Dell’s battery recall Apple Computer also recalls 1.8 million notebook computer batteries manufactured by Sony. Similar to Dell, most of the notebooks were sold in the United States. However, some 700,000 units could be found overseas.
- September 2006: Matsushita (Panasonic) recalls 6,000 batteries.
- September 2006: Toshiba recalls 340,000 batteries.
- September 2006: IBM/Lenovo recalls 500,000 batteries.
- October 2006: Hitachi recalls 16,000 batteries.
- October 2006: Fujitsu recalls 338,000 batteries.
- October 2006: Sharp recalls 28,000 batteries.
- November 2006: Casio recalls more than 20,000 batteries
- December 2006: Nintendo said it would voluntarily replace 3.2 million straps attached to the controllers of its new Wii game consoles, and recalled about 200,000 AC adapters for its DS and DS Lite handheld game machines. The Wii strap failures are a global problem.
2007 [edit ]
2008 [edit ]
2009 [edit ]
2010 [edit ]
2011 [edit ]
2012 [edit ]
2013 [edit ]
2014 [edit ]
- April – IKEA recalled 255,000 children’s bed canopies due to the risk of strangulation hazards.
- April – Walmart recalled 174,000 My Sweet Love Cuddle Care baby dolls due to the risk of a burn hazard.
- April – Playtex recalled 305,000 infant carriers due to the risk of a fall hazard.
- May – Office Depot recalled 1.4 million office chairs due to the risk of a fall hazard.
- November 2014, McDonald’s recalled 2.3 million Hello Kitty birthday-themed plastic figure Happy Meal toys holding a pink heart-shaped lollipop including a red plastic toy whistle that was due to the risk of a choking hazard.
- November 13, 2014; Panasonic recalls 300,000 batteries.
- December 2014, Graco recalled 4.7 million strollers due to the risk of a laceration and amputation hazard.
- December 2014, Toys R Us recalled 19,000 Koala children’s sandals with butterfly wings due to the risk of a choking hazard.
2015 [edit ]
2016 [edit ]
2017 [edit ]
2018 [edit ]
2019 [edit ]
2020 [edit ]
2021 [edit ]
Recalls by industry [edit ]
automotive diligence [edit ]
In general, the issue of recalls has been increasing – with an exception during the economic crisis of 2009–2010 – due to time, cost and commercialize pressure. Per year, ball-shaped automotive warranties are estimated as USD 40 billion, 3–5 % loss in sales. low-cost output often leads to minor quality, and outsourcing leads to a shift of cognition concerning techniques and processes. [ 112 ] This room, technical foul failures are more likely to occur ascribable to communication problems between the different parties engaged in the supply chain and missing definitions for technical interfaces. Despite the increasing issue of recalls, a Mojo Motors, Inc. analyze found entirely .005 percentage of customers ask about recalls when contacting dealerships. [ 113 ] Since 1966, 390 million motor vehicles have been recalled in the USA. [ 114 ] 29 million cars were recalled in 2018. That total is polish from its bill of 50 million in 2016, but on average, recalls are on the heighten. More cars have been recalled in the by five years than between 2003 and 2014. [ 115 ] Manufacturers have to notify the owner when there is a recall comment, but in the subject of a moment, third or one-fourth owner of the car, the company may be sending the notice to a previous one. [ 116 ]
food industry [edit ]
evacuate grocery shelves during the 2018 American salmonella outbreak. such clearances were done to prevent the sale of potentially contaminated agrarian products Over 3000 food products were recalled in the US in 2016 according to the US Food and Drug Administration Enforcement reports. Individual recall events caused by contamination from foreign bodies ( physical contamination from metallic, methamphetamine, credit card, wood etc. ) has increased by 76 % in 2016 compared with 2015. This increase in 2016 is even more notice when looking at the phone number of products recalled ( as opposed to recall event ) due to alien body contamination. In 2016 there were 422 products recalled due to foreign body contaminant, whilst in 2015 there were 108 ; about a 300 % increase.
Xem thêm: How to Drive an Automatic Car
Pet food recalls [edit ]
Every year, there are several pet food and process recalls due to spoiled or infect ingredients. possibly the most known was in 2007. The 2007 pet food recalls involved the massive recall of many brands of caterpillar and andiron foods beginning in March 2007. The recalls came in response to reports of nephritic bankruptcy in pets consuming by and large besotted pet foods made with pale yellow gluten from a unmarried chinese company, beginning in February 2007. The echo began voluntarily with the canadian company Menu Foods on March 16, 2007, when a company screen showed nausea and death in some of the screen animals. Overall, several major companies have recalled 150 different brands of food comprising more than 5,000 break pet food products. The FDA and USDA probe found the food to be intentionally contaminated with the chemical melamine. [ 117 ] however pet food recalls are not rare at all. The 2007 recall stands out and is well known because of the sheer size, scope, and number of animals affected. But pet food recalls occur on a regular basis. For case, on September 12, 2008 Mars Petcare US announced a volunteer recall of all dry favored food products produced at its implant in Everson, Pennsylvania, citing potential contaminant with salmonella. [ 118 ] [ 119 ]
Snack food recall [edit ]
On July 23, 2018, Pepperidge Farm announced that the Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar Goldfish crackers were being recalled due to possible salmonella contamination in the whey powder used on them. This recall besides affected the Flavor Blasted Sour Cream and Onion, Whole Grain Xtra Cheddar, and Xtra Cheddar and Pretzel varieties. [ 120 ] besides more nosh products were recalled for assorted guard reasons. Mondelēz Global LLC recalled all Ritz Crackers products that are containing whey after traces of salmonella were detected on the whey gunpowder. The recall includes Ritz tall mallow firecracker sandwiches and shuffle cookie and redneck diverseness packs. Flower Foods recalled all of their swiss Rolls products sold under the H-E-B, Food Lion, Mrs. Freshley ‘s, Baker ‘s Treat, Market Square, and Great Value brands due to contamination of salmonella. John Derst ‘s Old Fashioned Bread was besides affected by the recall. Pinnacle Foods, Inc. issued a recall on all Hungry Man BBQ boneless chicken wing products due to salmonella being detected in the whey powder of the ranch dressing. [ 121 ]
Xem thêm: Meineke Car Care Center
Broadcast industry [edit ]
On September 10, 2020, the frequencies of ABS-CBN Channel 2, aboard its digital channels such as Yey !, Asianovela Channel, and Movie Central, ampere well as planetary operations of cable television channels such as Cine Mo !, TeleRadyo, Jeepney television receiver, Myx, and Knowledge Channel on ABS-CBN television Plus, and other pertinent local television and radio stations, were recalled by the Philippine National Telecommunications Commission citing the absence of a valid, legislative franchise. The probationary authorities and certificates of populace public toilet granted to ABS-CBN were besides taken away by the said politics agency. [ 122 ] [ 123 ]