star star star star star
4.9 • based on 25 reviews of 25 businesses
Brake shoe replacement
How much does a brake shoe replacement cost?
Your car ’ s brakes are the first cable of defense against a collision, helping you bring your car to a stop. In cars with brake drum brakes, brake shoes are the spinal column of the system.
Bạn đang đọc: Brake Shoe Replacement Costs & Repairs
During casual process, the brake shoes wear down with every press of the brake pedal, reducing the sum of friction material on the back home plate .
When they reach their minimal specification, the brake shoes need to be replaced .
Brake shoes normally average approximately 90,000 to 120,000km before needing to be changed, depending on the make and model you drive .
The common cost to replace brake shoes is from $ 190 to $ 400, depending on the make and mannequin, and heavy-duty brakes are typically more expensive .
Because drum brakes are normally only used on the raise axle where only 30 % of the total brake effort is exerted, the raise brake shoes last about doubly american samoa long as the front brakes .
What is a brake shoe?
once, drum brakes were the most common brake system you ’ five hundred find on cars. In the past few decades, disk brakes have become vastly popular and alone a handful of cars and trucks use drum brakes, and entirely on the rear axle.
Xem thêm: Meineke Car Care Center
When the brake bicycle is pressed, hydraulic imperativeness pushes the wind brake horseshoe against the smooth inner surface of the brake brake drum .
There are two half-circle brake shoes inside every brake drum, applying tied press on both sides of the drum .
The steel backing denture is curved to mimic the shape of the drum. A clash material made of metallic compound is bonded to the support plate, although some may use organic or ceramic in the friction material .
The friction and inflame from pressing the brake shoes against the drum causes them to wear. Once the clash material has worn down to the discard terminus ad quem, normally 1 millimeter, brake horseshoe replacement is required .
Symptoms you require brake shoe replacement
- Squealing or grinding noise when pressing brake pedal
- Brake pedal sinks further to the floor
- Chattering feeling in the brake pedal when pressed
How is a brake shoe replacement performed?
- The car is lifted and the rear wheels are removed
- The brake drums are removed from the wheel hub
- A brake inspection is performed and the brake shoes measured
- Worn brake shoes are replaced with new ones
- The brake drums are refitted or replaced, and the wheels are installed
- The brakes are adjusted and the technician performs a road test to verify operation
Tips to remember
- Some rear disc brakes use emergency brake shoes mounted inside the rotor’s ‘hat’.
- When replacing brake shoes, the brake drums should be measured, and either resurfaced or replaced as required
- If a rear axle seal has leaked oil or grease on the brake shoes, they are contaminated and should be replaced to ensure proper braking performance.
How important is brake shoe replacement?
Brake shoe successor should be performed when they are worn to their limit to give you the assurance that your brakes will function as designed when you hit the brake bicycle.
If you choose to drive with exhausted brake shoes, your brakes could fail and put you, your occupants, and those around you in a dangerous position .
If you ’ ve read this far, you obviously care about your car. A set. So adjacent time you need a serve, repair or inspection, visit AutoGuru.com.au .
We let you search and book from over 1,600 qualify mechanics, who eat cable car troubles for breakfast .