here ’ s a general overview of how to install a Lugnut4x4 emergency brake kit out :
1. Install the Emergency Brake Caliper
The first thing you want to do is to install the emergency brake ( e-brake ) caliper. You can install the e-brake caliper on either the battlefront or rise side of the rotor. In most OE applications they were installed on the rear english of the caliper. So the caliper with an emboss “ R ” on it mounts on the right side on the rear of the caliper. And, of class, the caliper with an emboss “ L ” on it mounts on the left side of the hand truck on the rise of the caliper. You can install the calipers on the front man side of the rotor if it works better with your e-brake cables. To do this, swap the calipers from side to side. Left caliper on right side, and right caliper on the leftover side. This keeps the hemophiliac valve at the top of the caliper, which is important. Installing the e-brake caliper is the like as mounting a conventional caliper. Make certain you torque the mounting bolts, and use high persuasiveness string locker .
2. Install the Parking Cable Mounting Bracket on Each Caliper
The cable mounting bracket bolts to the caliper with one bang. ( This bracket is the lower metallic depart shown in the photograph. ) Use high strength lock besotted on the abscond. This video should help you understand how to orient the bracket. Do not install the parking brake lever arm.
Bạn đang đọc: How to Install an Emergency Brake Kit
3. Adjust the Emergency Brakes and Install the Levers
This is an important step. If you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate do this correctly, you will have a easy brake pedal. Before beginning to adjust the e-brakes :
- Make sure that the rotor and caliper are fully installed. Otherwise, you will not be able to adjust the e-brakes correctly.
- You do not need brake fluid in the system. The e-brakes operate mechanically.
- It is important to loosen the bleeder valve before starting. This to prevent suction inside the caliper, which can retract the piston. If suction pulls the piston back in it is very difficult to get a good adjustment. If you already have bled the caliper you may need to bleed it again.
here ’ s the alteration process :
Xem thêm: Why Does Your Car Shake When You Brake?
- You will use the brake lever arm as a tool. (The brake lever arm is laser cut very precisely. You will notice that it will only fit on the actuator nut/stud when it is correctly oriented. Left and right arms cannot be swapped.)
- Place the arm on the actuator nut/stud and then rotate the arm forward towards the front of the truck as far as you can.
- Repeat this process until the brake pad makes contact with the rotor. (If nothing seems to be happening, use a screwdriver and wedge it between the rotor and pad to put slight pressure on the piston.)
- Install the brake lever arm so it sits as close as possible to the backstop. Test the lever one more time. It should not move forward more than 3/8″ – 1/2″. Once you are sure you have the arm in the right place, remove the nut, apply lock tight, and re-install the nut.
- Install the brake cable and spring. Use the spring included in the kit. It is shorter than the original to accommodate our bracket and lever design. (Our e-brake kit is a universal design that works with the majority of OE e-brake cables. However, we have no way to test fit every e-brake cable ever made. If you run into problems mounting the cable to the e-brake, consider a universal e-brake cable such as the one made by Lokar.)
- Repeat these steps for the other side.
4. Adjust the E-Brake Cable
Parking brake cable adjuster
There ’ s an e-brake cable adjuster included in the kit. ( note that the adjuster comes from Dorman with the addict installed precisely the face-to-face of how it will be installed in your truck. )
Xem thêm: Why Does My Car Shake When It Brakes?
To adjust the e-brake cable :
- Locate the single brake cable that runs from the e-brake handle to the Y-joint where separate cables begin to run to each rear wheel.
- Place the two barrels of the tensioner against the cable.
- Slide the hook over the cable and through the adjuster. The threaded shaft of the hook should protrude from the adjuster opposite the barrels.
- Use the first nut to adjust the cable. Adjust it enough to remove the slack.
- Use the second nut to lock the first nut into place.
Why You Should Use the Parking Brake on a Regular Basis
To keep the brakes functioning correctly, it is authoritative that you use the parking brake on a regular basis. Using the e-brake causes the adjuster inside the caliper to function, so the brakes stay in adjustment. If the e-brake is not used for a period of time, it can come so far out of adaptation that the adjuster no longer works correctly. If this happens, you will end up with a soft brake pedal, and you will have to manually adjust the e-brakes to solve the trouble .
Got any questions about the initiation serve ? You ’ rhenium welcome to call us, email us, or visit our shop !