Keeping your brake fluent topped up is fabulously important. Without it, your braking system will cease to function, putting you and your passengers ’ lives in hazard, and potentially damaging your vehicle. thankfully, checking your brake fluid degree and topping it up is a dim-witted job. here ’ s how.
Bạn đang đọc: How to check and top up your brake fluid
How to check your vehicle’s brake fluid level
You should check your brake fluid flush every few months – preceptor ’ thymine equitable trust on your splashboard warning lights to tell you when your level is low .
- Drive your vehicle for a short period, braking several times to properly fill the brake system.
- Park on a flat surface – doing so on a slope may produce an incorrect reading.
- Open the bonnet and locate the brake fluid reservoir. If you’re unsure where to find it, check your vehicle manual
- The reservoir should be coloured white, with ‘low’ and ‘maximum’ fill markers on the outside surface. The fluid, a relatively dark liquid, should be visible through the reservoir container.
If your brake fluid degree is below the ‘ low ’ marker, you should add fluid to top it up .
If you check the degree soon after and it is still low, you may have a leak in the bracken system. This can besides be caused by wear bracken pads – when wear, brake calipers have further to move this draw more brake fluid into the system. In both cases, you should visit a automobile mechanic arsenic soon as potential .
If the floor is higher than the maximum marker, the fluid may be absorbing water from a weak point in the brake system. If you continue to drive with body of water in your brake system, the body of water may boil off ( brake fluid has a higher boil point than water ) and your brake serve will suffer. If your level is above the maximum, visit a workshop to have your brake fluid replaced.
Xem thêm: Why Does My Car Shake When It Brakes?
How to add brake fluid
If you have a gloomy brake fluid level, topping up is very childlike .
- Park your vehicle on a flat surface.
- Clean the brake fluid reservoir cap if it’s dirty, so no debris falls into the reservoir.
- Remove the cap. If the fluid is very dark or contains debris, it’s likely you need to visit a workshop for a brake fluid change, as the fluid may be past its lifespan.
- Slowly and carefully add brake fluid to the reservoir until the level reaches the maximum fill marker.
- Securely screw the reservoir cap back on.
- Drive your vehicle for a short period, braking occasionally then, once parked on a flat surface, check the fluid again to be sure of a successful fill.
Brake fluid can corrode paint, so make surely not to spill it on your vehicle or engine compartment. If you do, wipe it off with enough of water – it ’ second greasy, so you ’ ll be able to tell when the surface is wholly clean .
Xem thêm: Why Does Your Car Shake When You Brake?
Total’s brake fluid range
When you ’ ra adjacent in want of a brake fluid filling, consider Total ’ s range of premium, high-performance brake fluids .
Total HBF 4
full HBF 4 is designed for cars, commercial vehicles, coaches and buses. With a wholly synthetic conceptualization, it ensures safety and exceeding brake performance, and is compatible with DOT 4-level vehicles. Find out more .
Elf Moto Brake Fluid
Created to give motorcyclists firm brake response times while protecting their brake fluid systems. Elf Moto Brake Fluid is in full synthetic with a silicone-free DOT 5.1 conceptualization. Learn more .