Wanna make your helmet bigger without cutting??

  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY’s Ride of the Month Challenge!

Joined

[external_link_head]

·

759 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 · May 7, 2007

some time back, I bought a new bell helmet. open face, forget the model number. anyways, after a week it seemed like it was scrunching my head…or my head grew. so, I went down to local store and bought a cheap ol beach ball. stuck it inside my helmet off and on for two weeks and voila, one larger size helmet without cutting foam. used a bicycle pump to power up the beach ball. worked for me, might work for you.

Joined

·

234 Posts

What a hell of a good idea,I will have to try it on mine tonight.

Joined

·

1,089 Posts

SOUNDS good but did you compress the foam and reduce the ability of the helmet to protect you noggin in time of need?

I had the same problem. My helmets were killing my forehead until I found that Arai had a line of helmets with an elongated oval which I can wear comfortably all day.

Joined

·

1,142 Posts

[external_link offset=1]

I would think this would increase the size all the way around…

My problem is usually much more specific than that. If it increased it all the way around, the helmet would likely not fit correctly anymore…

Joined

·

1,461 Posts

Tanker said:

some time back, I bought a new bell helmet. open face, forget the model number. anyways, after a week it seemed like it was scrunching my head…or my head grew. so, I went down to local store and bought a cheap ol beach ball. stuck it inside my helmet off and on for two weeks and voila, one larger size helmet without cutting foam. used a bicycle pump to power up the beach ball. worked for me, might work for you.

Sounds good, but I just went out and got a hair cut 😆

Van 8)

Joined

·

6,976 Posts

Tanker said:

some time back, I bought a new bell helmet. open face, forget the model number. anyways, after a week it seemed like it was scrunching my head…or my head grew. so, I went down to local store and bought a cheap ol beach ball. stuck it inside my helmet off and on for two weeks and voila, one larger size helmet without cutting foam. used a bicycle pump to power up the beach ball. worked for me, might work for you.

Damm a beachball!!?? sir you ARE the winner of the biggest helmet contest!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) 😯

Joined

·

503 Posts

I just tell people to quit telling me how good looking I am. Helmet fits better now.

Joined

·

40 Posts

DGM said:

SOUNDS good but did you compress the foam and reduce the ability of the helmet to protect you noggin in time of need?

I had the same problem. My helmets were killing my forehead until I found that Arai had a line of helmets with an elongated oval which I can wear comfortably all day.

Very good point. If you compress the foam in your helmet to get it to fit then you have affected the helmets ability to protect your head in an impact. Try a helmet that fits correctly… ya think?

Joined

[external_link offset=2]

·

2,517 Posts

Doons said:

DGM said:

SOUNDS good but did you compress the foam and reduce the ability of the helmet to protect you noggin in time of need?

I had the same problem. My helmets were killing my forehead until I found that Arai had a line of helmets with an elongated oval which I can wear comfortably all day.

Very good point. If you compress the foam in your helmet to get it to fit then you have affected the helmets ability to protect your head in an impact. Try a helmet that fits correctly… ya think?

You did destroy the compression abiltiy of the helment.!!

Joined

·

1,247 Posts

I don’t think a beach ball will compress the foam but maybe. I have used a spoon to compress certain areas and it takes a lot of preasure more than a beach ball would deliver.

hazle

Joined

·

9,099 Posts

Take a look at the HJC SyMax and their sizes – and I assume most the rest of the helmets are built the same way. They make one size of shell for all sizes – small thru XXL. I got one that was size small for the granddaughter. When she outgrew it, I ordered a new liner and cheek pads for it in size XXL. When I took the liners out and laid them side by side, the difference was in the thickness of the padding – the XXL liners was way thinner than the Small liner. Then I took the liner out of Carols Medium and my XL, and that is the difference – lining thickness. Learned something. I guess if you want more protection, be a pin head.

Joined

·

364 Posts

Isn’t this like taking the bumpers off your car so you can park in a tight

parking spot..??

I think you’ve defeated the main purpose of wear the helmet.

[external_footer]