Barney’s First Car
• < Season 3 > < Episode 27 >
April 1, 1963
Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor
Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife
Ron Howard as Opie Taylor
Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor
Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle
Betty Lynn as Thelma Lou
Ellen Corby as Myrt “Hubcaps” Lesh
Allan Melvin as Jake
Hallene Hill as Rose Temple
Tom Allen as Reverend Tucker
Everett Greenbaum Previous Next Andy ‘s english Valet The Rivals
Barney buys a used car but ends up regretting it when it turns out to be a lemon.
Bạn đang đọc: Barney’s First Car
Barney buys a exploited car but ends up regretting it when it turns out to be a lemon .
Barney announces to Andy that he has withdrawn all the money from his savings account ( $ 300, or about $ 2500 in today ‘s money ) and intends to buy his own car. He sees an ad for a 1954 Ford that claims it ‘s lone been “ driven to church on Sunday ” and decides to call the seller and buy it. The following day, Barney and Andy are sitting on Andy ‘s presence porch as Myrt “ Hubcaps ” Lesh drives up in the car. Unbeknownst to Barney, Mrs. Lesh is the ringleader of an automotive “ chop shop ” and the car, while looking spectacular on the surface, is a total lemon. Mrs. Lesh plays herself up as a gratifying widow whose “ lamb conserve Bernard ” owned the car previously. She flush goes sol far as to encourage
Barney to have the car checked out by a automobile mechanic, but Barney is so taken by her and the candidate of owning the car that he hands over his $ 300 about immediately. Afterward, Mrs. Lesh is picked up by her son ( or nephew ) and the two campaign away, gratuitously celebrating their dishonest sale. Barney invites Thelma Lou, Andy, Aunt Bee, Opie, and Gomer out for a Sunday driveway. As they are driving, foreign noises begin sounding from the car. A separate ( possibly the damper ) drops from the car at one degree. ultimately, the steering column begins to protrude towards Barney as he grabs it. Barney stops the car with the engine overheat. After Andy gets water for the car, Barney, distraught by the fact he may have been had, lets Andy drive the car back before it makes even more make noise and last dies. Everyone takes turns pushing it binding to town while Thelma Lou steers. back at the courthouse, Gomer arrives, having equitable checked out the car. Gomer reads off an exhaustive list of all the repairs the car needs along with an important discovery : sawdust in the infection and derived function, which makes wear gears run smoothly for a curtly time and is “ the oldest car hustlers ‘ flim-flam in the book ” according to Andy. This is all Andy needs to take the cable car back to Mrs. Lesh and blow their operation. Andy and Barney undertake to drive the car back, but it goes dead again on the dirt road. Andy calls Gomer to come pick them up and he and Barney wait in the bet on seat and take a pile. A tow truck arrives and begins to tow the car, but it is from Lesh ‘s patronize. Andy and Barney awaken and notice the tow truck is not Gomer ‘s, but decide to stay concealed to see if they are taken to the chop denounce. Once they arrive, Barney loads his one bullet in his pistol, and he and Andy place Myrt and her boys under collar.
Xem thêm: How to check and top up your brake fluid
Barney, with his $ 300 refunded, attempts to buy another cable car. When the seller, another old spinster lady, arrives at the courthouse, Barney refuses to believe she is on the level. He evening goes so far as to insultingly associate her with “ Hubcaps ” Lesh, but then her nephew, a minister, arrives asking if the sale has been made. Barney is obviously embarrassed .
- Andy Griffith selected this episode as his all-time favorite.
- This episode was voted one of the top 10 fan-favorite episodes.
- In the sixth episode, Runaway Kid, Barney owns a car. (It is possible Barney sold it prior to this episode.)
- At the end of the episode, Myrt tries to talk Barney out of arresting her and says he can have a sweet 1958 custom sedan that’s been up on blocks since 1959!
- Ellen Corby who plays Myrt went on to play the role of Grandma in The Waltons.
- Years later, Don Knotts would be reunited with Andy Griffith on Matlock, where Knotts played Matlock’s annoying neighbor who was accused of killing the salesman’s partner, who also sold him a lemon.
- Barney tells Andy that he once bought his mom and dad a septic tank as an anniversary present. Gomer said he did the same in an episode of Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. (series).
- Barney’s lemon that he bought from Myrt is going to need plugs, points, bearings, valves, rings, starter switch, ignition wires, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, clutch, clutch bearings, clutch plate, brake lining, brake shoes, brake drums, radiator hose, and a radiator hose coupling. The car could use a good wash too. Also, sawdust was found in the differential and transmission.
- This episode is one of the few times an actual product is mentioned. Barney identifies it as a 1954 Ford. Hudson Terraplane is also mentioned when Barney is reading the classified ads. In the epilogue, Myrt is selling a 1959 Ford with a tag number of GP 780.
- The $300 Barney pays for the car would be equivalent to $2,500 in 2019.
- Andy mentions that it usually takes an hour to drive to Mount Pilot. This distance varies throughout the series.
- The chop shop crew had their own tow truck with a tag number: DF 153.
- Gomer mentions that he gets carsick, but in other episodes, he is fine sitting in a car, like A Black Day for Mayberry.
Barney: “ The last big buy I made was my ma ‘s and dad ‘s anniversary present. ”
Andy: “ What ‘d ya get ’em ? ”
Barney: “ Septic tank.
Andy: “ For their anniversary ? ”
Barney: “ Yeah. Oh, they ‘re actually hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were in truth thrilled. Two tons of concrete, all steel reinforced. ”
Andy: “ You ’ re a fine son, Barn. ”
Barney: “ I try. ”
Gomer : She ‘s gon na necessitate : Plugs, points, bearin ‘s, valves, rings, newcomer switch, ignition wires, water pump, fuel pump, petroleum pump, clutch, clutch bearin ‘s, clutch plate, brake linin ‘, brake shoes, brake drums, radiator hose and radiator hose couplin ‘ … And I ‘d give ‘er a estimable lave, besides .