The trace message may remain on the instrument bunch even when you replace the brake pads. “ iDrive message : Brake Pads are worn to the minimum depth. Have the pads replaced by the nearest BMW center. ”
Brake Warning Light On Dashboard
Bạn đang đọc: BMW Brake Pad Wear Sensor Replacement Guide
Service Vehicle Symbol with a cable car on the lift .
- 5F12 DSC Brake pad wear, front axle, brake pads
- 5F15 DSC Brake pad wear, rear axle plausibility.
What you will need
- Determine if you are replacing a front or rear brake pad wear sensor.
- Jack up the vehicle and remove the wheel. If replacing the front brake pad sensor, jack up the driver’s side wheel. If replacing the rear brake pad sensor, jack up the passenger side wheel. Remove the wheel from the vehicle.
- Locate the brake pad wear sensor on the brake pad.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to pry out the old sensor.
- Unhook the sensor from the brake caliper release valve.
- Unhook the sensor wire from the strut bracket by pulling it out of the bracket.
- Open the black box mounted on the wheel well. Inside you will find the connector.
- Pull the connector out of the box. Press the release tab on the connector and separate the wires.
- Install the new sensor in reverse order.
Reset BMW Brake Pad Wear Reminder
There are two methods to reset the BMW brake wear detector .
Reset BMW Brake Pad Sensor via Instrument Cluster
This video shows you how to reset the BMW brake light servicing admonisher using the instrument cluster ‘s buttons .
- Turn ignition on but do not start the car.
- Press and hold the reset button on the side of the dashboard.
- After a few seconds, you will see the service menu at the center of the dashboard.
- Press the reset button several times until you see the symbol for the front or rear brakes.
- With the brake symbol on a small LCD, press and hold the reset button until you see the words RESET.
- When RESET displays on the screen, release the button and press it again for about 5 seconds to reset the brake light.
If the reset routine is carried out successfully, the brake symbol in the small LCD will turn from RED to ORANGE .
Reset BMW Brake Light with an OBD-II Scanner
Another method to reset the BMW bracken admonitory is to use a scan tool .
many OBD-II scanners allow you to access the Condition Based Serving ( CBS ) menu and reset the bracken mileage specify .
If you have tried method acting 1 but have been unsuccessful, the adjacent step is to use a scanner.
In addition to resetting the brake easy, a good scanner allows you to read mistake codes from the DSC module and determine why the brake faint wo n’t reset .
In this case, we are using Foxwell Scanner for BMW, but other scanners offer this functionality .
Can I Bypass Brake Pad Wear Sensor
many BMW owners choose to shunt ( erase ) the brake wear detector by removing the detector and installing a clip or cutting the detector wire, exposing the wires and connecting them .
This is known as bypass the cable and emulates a “ good ” detector but is not recommended .
It is not recommended to disable the BMW bracken pad clothing detector permanently .
If you bypass the brake pad wear sensor, you will NOT know when your brakes are due for replacement. Your brake pads will wear completely until they reach the alloy part, at which bespeak you will have alloy on alloy contact .
not entirely will your brake be reduced, but you will besides hear a grind noise, and your rotors will get damaged and require substitution deoxyadenosine monophosphate well .
How many brake pad sensors does a BMW have?
typically two. One detector is located on one battlefront brake pad ( leave front ). The second wear detector is on the right rear brake pad .
What is BMW brake pad sensor resistance?
New Brake Pads : Zero resistance ( or closed racing circuit ).
careworn Pads : Infinity ohm ( open circuit ) when the pads ( detector ) wear out .
Where is the BMW brake pad sensor located?
Front left brake caliper. Mounted on the brake pad .
rise properly brake caliper. Mounted on the brake pad .