when you’re in colorado, do you choose to cruise along trail ridge road in rocky mountain national park or on mount evans road, the highest paved road in america? no matter which road you choose, riding a motorcycle in colorado is a show-stopper.
the only thing that may stop you from strapping on a helmet and exploring the countryside is motorcycle insurance. let’s take a look at some of the best motorcycle insurance options in colorado and how to get them.
You're reading: Best Cheap Motorcycle Insurance in Colorado for 2021 • Benzinga
the best motorcycle insurance in colorado:
- most affordable in colorado: nationwide
- best for comprehensive coverage: progressive
- best for customer service: dairyland
- best for specific motorcycle models: harley-davidson insurance
colorado motorcycle insurance: an overview
in colorado, your motorcycle insurance policy must include liability insurance, which includes the following coverages:
- bodily injury coverage per person: minimum of $25,000
- total bodily injury coverage per incident: minimum of $50,000
- property damage coverage per incident: $15,000
- average annual rate with a clean driving record: $534
colorado motorcycle insurance law explained
you’re required to have motorcycle insurance in colorado. liability coverage covers 3rd-party injuries and property damage if you are the responsible party in an accident.
- you’ll need to have $25,000 per person minimum coverage — the same as if you drive any other vehicle.
- colorado law also requires $50,000 for bodily injury or death coverage for all individuals involved in an accident. this means that up to $50,000 worth of expenses will be paid through your insurance toward injured parties or even in the tragic circumstance that somebody dies due to an accident you cause.
- you must also have $15,000 of property damage coverage for damages to your bike or other property damaged during a collision.
there are other options available to motorcyclists in colorado, but they aren’t required by law. collision coverage involves damage to your motorcycle due to a collision no matter who is at fault. you can even replace your bike if it’s totaled beyond repair. there are also options that protect your motorcycle from non-collision events like floods or tornados. there are additional coverage options for motorcycle accessories if they add value to your bike like custom paint, exhaust systems and even sidecars.
every company has its own additional coverage options and plans, so talk with an insurance provider to see what makes the most sense for you. our guides on motorcycle insurance are a great place to start if you’re looking for a list of reliable insurance options for your bike.
Read more: Automobiles & Motorcycles
colorado motorcycle insurance rates per bike
motorcycle insurance in colorado is $534 on average, but there are a lot of factors involved when an insurance company calculates your premium each year. these factors include your driving history, age and the type of vehicle you have.
all bikes incur different insurance rates. for example, a brand-new sporty motorcycle will cost a lot more to insure than an older touring bike. that’s because insurers take the average cost of a claim for each model into consideration. that’s similar to how a luxury foreign car costs more to insure than an old buick. bigger engines also lead to higher premiums. keep these things in mind before you purchase a motorcycle.
motorcycle insurance quotes
motorcycle insurance discounts
|company||discounts offered||overall rating|
|progressive||transfer, multiple bike, homeowner, claims-free, anti-lock brake, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license||4.3|
|geico||transfer, multiple bike, loyalty, homeowner, rider experience, anti-theft, safety course||5|
|dairyland||multiple bike, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, safety course||4.7|
|harley-davidson||multiple bike, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, claims-free, rider experience, anti-theft, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license||3.7|
|nationwide||multiple bike, homeowner, riding group, anti-lock brake, safety course||4.7|
best motorcycle insurance providers in colorado
all of the big players in the insurance world offer great motorcycle insurance coverage in colorado. of course, some are better for your specific needs than others. let’s take a look at some of the insurance providers that make the most sense for you.
- having an assigned agent
- coverage for classic and vintage bikes
- easy claims process
- having to buy insurance through an agent
- no transparent pricing
1. most affordable in colorado: nationwide
nationwide offers the cheapest motorcycle insurance in colorado — its average yearly cost is just $407 in colorado. you can bundle car insurance, stay accident-free and get additional discounts on your premium. paying your annual premium upfront will make the yearly cost go down even more.
despite its affordable rate, nationwide has similar coverage compared to higher-priced alternatives in colorado. the low cost makes it more than possible to take advantage of optional coverage options without going over budget, such as nationwide’s oem endorsement. this covers parts from the manufacturer when you have your bike repaired. check out more about nationwide and other cost-effective policies for cheap motorcycle insurance.
drivers with consistently good driving habits
- more welcoming to less-experienced drivers
- great website and mobile app
- driving based discounts can be generous
- relatively smaller agent network may leave some without a local agent
- rates can increase at renewal based on driving data from progressive’s snapshot.
2. best for comprehensive coverage: progressive
progressive might not be the cheapest option compared to its competitors. but for motorcycle enthusiasts, progressive is a great fit thanks to its complete protection and many additional features:
Read more: Is Car Insurance Impacted When Moving?
- oem parts coverage and replacement cost coverage
- additional parts coverage for customized bikes
- further injury coverage for you and your passengers
- 25% deductible reduction for each year you go without an accident
- exceptionally affordable insurance options; very low quote for a 1-year policy
- wide range of policies and add-on protections available
- easy, guided claims process assisted by a representative
- simple mobile app that allows you to track your claims and benefits
- high number of positive customer reviews
- not currently available in all states
- fewer discounts available than some competitors
3. best for customer service: dairyland
dairyland has an naic complaint index of 0.20, which means that it’s well below the number of complaints that companies of its size usually receive. dairyland does not a robust number of complaints compared to other companies in the field.
dairyland also has an am best financial strength rating of a+, so dairyland will pay claims no matter the circumstance.
- wide range of coverages available
- generous number of discounts; special discounts unique to harley-davidson owners
- more expensive than competitors
- cannot bundle together auto and motorcycle insurance
4. best for specific motorcycle models: harley-davidson
harley-davidson is one of the more expensive motorcycle insurance options in colorado, but the company covers all motorcycles, not just harley-davidson models. harley-davidson also offers coverage for your optional equipment and safety gear.
enjoy the colorado scenery
there’s nothing quite like exploring the mountains by motorcycle. relax and enjoy those rides without worrying about motorcycle insurance. check out each company on our list and get an online quote. enter some basic information and you can compare plans that fit you and your ride best.
harley-davidson insurance services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. the company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. you’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.