“ Unusual smells can be the sign of unplayful, and potentially costly, trouble for your fomite. By acting promptly and making necessary repairs, you ’ ll be able to breathe easy knowing there is no harmful damage to your car, ” said Rich White, executive film director, Car Care Council.
Xem thêm: Why Does Your Car Shake When You Brake?
Xem thêm: Meineke Car Care Center
Bạn đang đọc: Six Smell That Identify Problems + a Bonus Brake Smell
The Car Care Council recommends a sniff examination of your vehicle to identify any unusual smells, including the keep up six warning signs :
- The smell of burnt rubber could be slipping drive belts or misplaced loose hoses that might be rubbing against rotating accessory drive pulleys. Do not reach in if the engine compartment is hot.
- The smell of hot oil could mean that oil is leaking onto the exhaust system. To verify the leak, look for oil on the pavement or smoke coming from the engine area.
- The smell of gasoline is likely the sign of a gas leak in some area of the vehicle such as a fuel injector line or the fuel tank. Any smell of fuel can result in a possible fire hazard, so immediate attention should be given.
- The sweet smell of syrup may be a sign that your car is leaking engine coolant from a leaky component related to the car’s cooling system. Do not open the radiator cap when it is hot.
- The smell of burning carpet could be a sign of brake trouble and a safety hazard. Have your brakes checked right away, especially if this smell is happening during normal driving conditions.
- The smell of rotten eggs is never a good one and, if you smell it coming from your vehicle, it could mean a problem with your catalytic converter not converting the hydrogen sulfide in the exhaust to sulfur dioxide properly. This smell can also be attributed to a poor running engine, causing the catalytic converter to become overloaded and fail due to meltdown.
“ When you smell any particular smell, you should not ignore it. alternatively bring your vehicle to a professional avail technician that you trust to get an inform opinion on the nature of the olfactory property, ” concluded White. About the Car Care Council
The non-profit Car Care Council is the source of information for the “ Be Car Care Aware ” consumer education crusade promoting the benefits of regular fomite concern, maintenance and repair to consumers. For the latest car care news program, visit the council ’ randomness on-line media room at hypertext transfer protocol : //media.carcare.org. To order a free transcript of the democratic Car Care Guide, visit the council ’ s consumer education web site at www.carcare.org .