photo by owassoisms
wherever venus woods monyhan rides people ask about her bling motorcycle helmet and crystal motorcycle. some of the questions she gets are:
- how do you apply the swarovski crystals?
- do you need a pattern or stencil?
- how long does it take?
- how many crystals do you use?
- how much does it cost when you bling it yourself?
- how do you clean your crystal helmet?
lucky for us venus photographs her bling process and loves to share her experience. even on rides she brings along her tools, glue, and crystals to show others how she does it. rather than talk about it, venus provides a visual demo for those who want to know how to bling a helmet.
“i have people always asking me how i apply the crystals…at bike shows and seriously everywhere i ride. i always take my tools, glue, and crystals with me to demonstrate the way i apply them. i found it easier. visual demo!”
recently we featured venus and her crystal harley here on biker girl bling. read the story at “custom crystal harley davidson softail is a shining star.” you’ll learn how she customized her crystal motorcycle and see her other bling motorcycle helmet.
a collection of custom bling motorcycle helmets
the red crystal helmet with paw prints is actually venus’s third diy bling helmet project. the first custom helmet was a practice project to learn how to bling a motorcycle helmet. and the second crystal helmet features her name—“venus.”
both men and women love her bedazzled motorcycle helmets. they can’t believe the swarovski crystals are actually put on one at a time. she’s even told they need to put on their sunglasses. and her husband says he sees a disco ball when he looks in his rear view mirror.
fellow rider friends of venus immediately know it’s her because of her bling helmet. complete strangers ask if they can take pictures of venus, her bling motorcycle helmet, and crystal bike. to that venus simply says,
Read more: Amazon.com : 3 snap face shield
“i want to be seen.”
here is a video of the final blinged out motorcycle helmet:
“never leave your helmet on your bike. it will be stolen!”
want to know how she does it? this is the process venus used to customize her red crystal bling motorcycle helmet.
by venus woods monyhan
my process is simple. i start by having all my tools ready and a clean helmet. i clean it with glass cleaner and dry it with soft microfiber cloth. i open a window—weather permitting—for ventilation due to the fumes from the glue. otherwise, i turn on a circulating fan.
in this video venus shows us how she sets things up when preparing to bling her motorcycle helmet. after removing the rhinestones from her practice helmet, it is ready to be re-blinged.
i start at the bottom of the motorcycle helmet and bling to the top. i go around and do one row and then do the next row above that one. i do not use any pattern to design my helmet.
on this helmet i made a stencil of my mastiffs’ actual paw prints received from the vet office when they passed.
i mainly use 20ss size swarovski crystals and then smaller sized ones to fill in any gaps. i order several sizes just to be safe.
i take my time. it is very important to make your helmet look amazing and not like a rush job!
video showing venus’s progress of the diy bling motorcycle helmet.
step-by-step adding crystals to your bling motorcycle helmet
- get the right tools. remember to ventilate your work area.
- having the helmet up to eye level helps. i use a spice lazy susan with a round piece of styrofoam on the top of it. my helmet sits right down over it. this allows me to be able to turn the helmet without having to handle it a lot.
- do not put too much glue in the syringe. it will dry out over night. put glue in syringe without the tip on. push glue up with the plunger to top of syringe. this gets air out of it. next place tip on it. squirt a little glue out on a paper towel before starting. make sure you have all your materials ready to use by you. i like to use a piece of aluminum foil when i need to lay my syringe down.
- less is best. do not use too much glue. just a small dot. when first starting to learn only put about five (5) dots of glue on helmet. then use the rubber tipped katana tool to pickup the crystal. the rubber will stick to the crystal. place the crystal on the dot of glue gently and press down and make one twisting action and lift tool. repeat for the next dots of glue.
- if you put too much glue on and the glue leaks out from under the crystal use a toothpick or your fingernail to wipe away.
- placement of crystals is a personal choice. i have done it several ways. placing crystals directly under the crystal above it is one way. another is to stagger them. place the crystal in the middle of two crystals above it.
- there will be
zones where a 20ss size won’t fit. that’s where the small sizes come in. again, order several different smaller sizes.
- once i’m done i go back and remove any excess glue which i didn’t see or remove during the blinging process. the extra glue removed is where it leaked out around the crystals while applying. using too much glue causes that.
- i use sharp pointed tweezers. sometimes while pulling off/removing the glue a crystal will come off. i remove any dried glue from the back of the crystal. then i reapply a little glue to the motorcycle helmet and put it back on. i try to remove all excess glue but if it’s not that noticeable i leave it.
- once complete let your helmet sit for at least 24 hours.
how to apply swarovski crystals to a motorcycle helmet
see venus in action as she applies swarovski crystals to her motorcycle helmet one at a time.
it’s really a trial and error project. making it fun helps! you can always take off the crystals if you don’t like the placement or design.
connect with venus
follow venus and her diy bling projects on instagram or facebook.
do you have a diy bling project you’d like to share? then get in touch. we’d love to hear about it.
need some diy helmet bling inspiration?
venus recommends searching etsy. there are some beautiful helmets and other bling showcased there.
subscribe to get updates and special offers sign up!
founder, biker girl bling. “from the moment i saw trinity riding a motorcycle in the matrix i knew i had to ride. first bike? suzuki sv650. now riding a bmw f650 gs which has taken me around the us and down into mexico. the future has a harley waiting for me.”