learn how to restore car headlights. this inexpensive fix will immediately brighten your nighttime headlights.
every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
plastic lenses can become dull, scratched and yellow over time. polishing them will clear the haze. restore your car headlight lenses in 45 minutes for less than $15, rather than spending $100s to replace them.
You're reading: How to Clean and Restore Car Headlights
- plastic polish
note: the following procedure will not repair damage to the inside lens of the headlamp. you should replace a headlamp if the reflective coating is peeling or corroded.
project step-by-step (4)
Read more: Red light on????
wash and sand horizontally
- wash the cloudy headlight with warm soapy water.
- rinse with plenty of clear water, then let it dry.
- then mask the area around the lens so you don’t scratch the paint.
- soak the sheets of sandpaper in water, then start with the grit that suits your situation.
- sand in one direction.
- with sandpaper, the higher the number, the finer the grit. if the headlight is just dull or yellowed, start with the 1,500 grit and work up to the 2,500 grit. if there are light scratches, start with the 1,000-grit paper.
rinse and sand vertically
- rinse and change direction with the next grit. keep doing this until you’re finished with the 2,500-grit paper.
sign up for our newsletter
complete diy projects like a pro! sign up for our newsletter!
buff the lens with polish
- wash the headlight with plenty of clear, cool water and dry.
- wet one corner of the flannel cloth with the polishing compound.
- using firm pressure, polish the headlight in a circular pattern until it becomes smooth and clear.
polish the lens
- allow the polish to dry, then use the clean end of the cloth to buff off any polish residue.
- repeat the polishing process.
- depending on the damage to the headlamp, small
zones may still appear foggy. try repolishing only those spots with polishing compound. buff the area again and inspect. the lens should look perfectly clear!
- to keep foggy headlights clear, wash often with a mild detergent and a soft-bristle brush or sponge, flush with plenty of water and dry.
- never clean clear plastic with wax, polish or any chemical that’s not formulated for the task. and that is how to clean headlights yourself!
- working on a vehicle can be intimidating for non-mechanic types, but some diy car maintenance is surprisingly easy.