|class||grand tourer (s)|
|layout||front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive|
|related||mercedes-amg gt 4-door coupé|
|engine||4.0 l m178 (mercedes-amg) twin-turbocharged v86.2 l m159 dohc v8 (amg gt3)|
|transmission||7-speed amg speedshift dct dual-clutch|
|wheelbase||2,630 mm (103.5 in)|
|length||4,546 mm (179.0 in)|
|width||1,939 mm (76.3 in) (gt, gt s)2,007 mm (79.0 in) (gt c, gt r)|
|height||1,288 mm (50.7 in)|
|kerb weight||1,615–1,645 kg (3,560–3,627 lb)|
|predecessor||mercedes-benz sls amg|
the mercedes-amg gt (c190 / r190) is a grand tourer produced in coupé and roadster bodystyles by german automobile manufacturer mercedes-amg. the car was introduced on 9 september 2014 and was officially unveiled to the public in october 2014 at the paris motor show. after the sls amg, it is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by mercedes-amg. the mercedes-amg gt went on sale in two variants (gt and gt s) in march 2015, while a gt3 racing variant of the car was introduced in 2015. a high performance variant called the gt r was introduced in 2016. a gt4 racing variant, targeted at semi-professional drivers and based on the gt r variant, was introduced in 2017. recently, a new variant called the amg gt black series has been released. all variants are assembled at the mercedes-benz plant in sindelfingen, germany.
You're reading: Mercedes-AMG GT – Wikipedia
the interior of the mercedes-amg gt was previewed on 16 april 2014. the car made its debut on 9 september 2014 and was officially unveiled to the public in october 2014 at the paris motor show with two engine power output options: the gt, with 340 kw (462 ps; 456 hp), and the gt s with 375 kw (510 ps; 503 hp). the gt generates 600 n⋅m (443 lb⋅ft) of torque, and the gt s generates 650 n⋅m (479 lb⋅ft) of torque.
shortly after its introduction, mercedes-amg ceo at the time, tobias moers promised a black series variant of the mercedes-amg gt. the new high performance variant was called the amg gt r.
f1 safety car
mercedes-amg gt s formula 1 safety car
the gt s was the formula 1 safety car for the 2015, 2016 and 2017 seasons, having made its debut in that role at the 2015 australian grand prix. since 2018, the gt r has replaced the gt s as f1’s current safety car.
the mercedes-amg family was given a facelift in 2017, along with the introduction of the gt c roadster variant and the edition 50 model, which is a limited-edition derivative of the gt c variant. the key improvements made as part of the facelift include increased power output from the m178 engine for the gt and gt s variants (10 kw and 9 kw respectively) and the inclusion of the ‘panamericana’ grille from the gt3, gt4 and gt r variants as standard equipment for all variants.
the gt’s exterior design was kept similar to that of the preceding sls amg. it features the wide wheel arches, lower bodywork, and fastback sloping roofline of the sls amg, but uses conventional forward-opening doors instead of the iconic gullwing style pioneered by the 300 sl in the 1950s. the large bonnet and slim windscreen have been retained. the vehicle structure is made up of 93% aluminium, with the front module base made up of magnesium. the exterior lead designer was mark fetherston, whose previous works include the w176 a-class, the cla-class, and sls amg. the interior, designed by jan kaul, features a large centre console and decorative elements in a leather and carbon polymer design. the trunk offers room for a medium-sized suitcase.
specifications and performance
the m178 v8 engine in a gt. the turbochargers are visible in the centre, beneath a metallic heat shield
the gt uses a front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout, with the engine positioned inside of the vehicle’s wheelbase. the spaceframe chassis and body are made out of aluminium alloys, while the trunk lid is made of steel and the hood is made of magnesium. the suspension system is a double wishbone unit at the front and rear, with forged aluminium wishbones and hub carriers.
Read more: When Your Car’s Headlights Won’t Turn Off
the car is powered by a 4.0-litre m178 twin-turbocharged v8 engine. the engine is in “hot inside v” configuration—with exhaust manifolds and turbochargers inside the cylinder banks to reduce turbo lag—and uses dry-sump lubrication. power is sent to the rear wheels through a seven-speed amg speedshift dual-clutch transmission; the gt s variant employs an electronically controlled mechanical limited-slip differential. in a road test executed by car and driver, the gt s accelerated from 0–97 km/h (60 mph) in 3.0 seconds, completed the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds and attained a top speed of 311 km/h (193 mph).
mercedes-amg gt (2015–present)
the gt is the entry level variant of the mercedes-amg gt family. the m178 engine in this variant is tuned to an output of 350 kw (476 ps; 469 hp) and 630 n⋅m (465 lb⋅ft) of torque, with the key differences between this and its more expensive siblings being a mechanical limited-slip differential, an absorbent glass mat battery, the lack of the “race mode” setting in the amg dynamic select adaptive drivetrain system, the lack of the amg ride control adaptive suspensive system, and a passive amg sport exhaust system. keyless-go is also an optional feature, as opposed to standard equipment. the gt is equipped with 19-inch wheels at the front and rear.
mercedes-amg gt s (2015–2020)
the gt s is a more highly equipped variant of the mercedes-amg gt. the m178 engine in this variant is tuned to an output of 384 kw (522 ps; 515 hp) and 671 n⋅m (495 lb⋅ft) of torque. the key mechanical differences the gt s gains over the gt include an electronically controlled limited-slip differential, “race mode” and “race start” mode settings in the amg dynamic select adaptive drivetrain system, amg ride control adaptive suspensive system, an amg performance exhaust system with dynamic flaps, and a lithium-ion battery. keyless-go is standard equipment, as is a staggered set of wheels (19-inch at the front, 20-inch at the rear).
mercedes-amg gt c (2017–present)
the gt c is a performance oriented variant of the mercedes-amg gt. the m178 engine in this variant is tuned to an output of 410 kw (557 ps; 550 hp) and 502 lb⋅ft (681 n⋅m) of torque. while the gt c retains the key mechanical differences the gt s gains over the gt, it also has a wider body (2,007 mm (79 in)) and active rear steering, which the gt s does not have (even as options). in the united states, the lane tracking and amg dynamic plus option packages are standard equipment on the gt c.
a limited-edition model, the edition 50, was released as part of the debut of the gt c variant at the 2017 detroit auto show. the edition 50 features: a choice of two shades of matte paint known as designo graphite grey magno and designo cashmere white magno; black chrome exterior trim, headlight surrounds and forged / cross-spoke wheels; a two-tone silver pearl or black against grey quilted-leather interior which features a micro-suede wrapped steering wheel; and, “edition 50” and “1 of 500” lettering on the steering wheel bezel and 12 o’clock mark in silver pearl. in the united states, the edition 50 is limited in production to 50 coupes and 50 roadsters. globally, the edition 50 is limited to 500 units, which explains the “1 of 500” on the steering wheel.
mercedes-amg gt r (2017–2021)
mercedes-amg gt r
mercedes-amg gt r roadster at geneva international motor show 2019
the gt r is a high-performance variant of the mercedes-amg gt and was introduced at the goodwood festival of speed on 24 june 2016. the m178 engine in this variant is tuned to an output of 430 kw (585 ps; 577 hp) at 6,250 rpm and 700 n⋅m (516 lb⋅ft) of torque at 5,500 rpm. the gt r accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.6 seconds and has a claimed top speed of 319 km/h (198 mph).
while the gt r retains the key mechanical differences the gt c gains over the gt s, it also gains manually adjustable coilover springs (in conjunction with the amg ride control suspension of the base models), an active underbody fairing, a manually adjustable rear wing, and a 9-mode amg traction control system. as befitting of a high-performance variant, the gt r loses keyless-go, the integrated garage-door opener, the heated and power-folding side mirrors, the auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors and reverts to the basic light-weight 4-speaker audio system that the gt comes with.
when it was launched, the gt r had several cosmetic changes compared with the standard car, notably the vertical slats in the front grille, an adjustable rear wing, new front air intakes and new front and rear diffusers. the styling of the gt r is more comparable to that of the amg gt3 race car. however, the base gt variant gained several of these cosmetic changes as part of a mild facelift in the 2017 model year. the gt r went on sale in november 2016, with deliveries beginning in 2017. for the 2018 formula one world championship, the gt r became the official formula 1 safety car. during the 2020 tuscan grand prix, the safety car ran a red livery rather than the traditional silver to commemorate scuderia ferrari’s 1,000th grand prix start. for the 2021 f1 season, the gt r safety car permanently wears a red livery (along with the mercedes f1 team’s sponsor crowdstrike) rather than the traditional silver to increase the chances of drivers seeing the safety car in poor visibility. it will also share the role with the aston martin vantage.
it completed a lap of the nürburgring nordschleife track in 7:10.92, in a test conducted by german magazine sport auto. this earned it the seventh position for street legal vehicles in 2019.[citation needed ]
a roadster version was introduced in march 2019 and would be limited to 750 units. it was discontinued in 2021 when the black edition was released which it replaced.
mercedes-amg gt and gt c roadster (2017–present)
mercedes-amg gt c roadster
the gt and gt c roadsters are the roadster versions of the gt and gt c coupés, and were announced shortly after the introduction of the gt r variant. both variants made their debut at the 2016 paris motor show. the gt and gt c roadsters utilise the active air management system found on the gt r variant to help with cooling and airflow performance. the gt c roadster retains the wider bodywork of the gt c coupé, and the gt roadster has a slightly higher first and lower seventh gear with a longer final drive compared to the gt coupé. the gt and gt c roadsters feature a three-layer fabric roof built around an aluminum, magnesium and steel structure, available in black, red or beige, and which can open and close in 11 seconds up to speeds of 50 km/h (31 mph). the gt c roadster, like the gt c coupé, has a limited “edition 50” model, celebrating amg’s 50 years of existence.
Read more: 2001 Lexus ES 300 Headlight Bulb
2021 mercedes-benz amg gt dark night edition
mercedes -amg official announced that its amg gt black series and amg gt dark night officially listed special edition models, mercedes-benz amg gt models launched a total of 2, the prices are 3,688,800 ($576,612) and 1,468,800 yuan ($229,594)
|model||year of introduction||engine||power (at rpm)||torque (at rpm)||co2||fuel consumption||acceleration0–100 km/h [0–62 mph] (seconds)||top speed|
|gt||2015||m1783,982 cc (243.0 cu in) twin-turbocharged v8 petrol engine||340 kw (462 ps; 456 hp) at 6,000||600 n⋅m (443 lbf⋅ft) at 1,600–5,000||216 g/km||9.3 l/100 km (25 mpg‑us)||3.8 [3.8]||307 km/h (191 mph)|
|gt s||375 kw (510 ps; 503 hp) at 6,250||650 n⋅m (479 lbf⋅ft) at 1,750–4,750||219 g/km||9.4 l/100 km (25 mpg‑us)||3.5 [3.5]||312 km/h (194 mph)|
|gt r / gt r pro||2017||430 kw (585 ps; 577 hp) at 6,250||700 n⋅m (516 lbf⋅ft) at 1,900-5,500||259 g/km||11.4 l/100 km (20.6 mpg‑us)||3.2 [3.2]||319 km/h (198 mph)|
|gt roadster||350 kw (476 ps; 469 hp) at 6,000||630 n⋅m (465 lbf⋅ft) at 1,700-5,000||219 g/km||9.4 l/100 km (25 mpg‑us)||3.8 [3.8]||302 km/h (188 mph)|
|gt c roadster||410 kw (557 ps; 550 hp) at 5,750-6,750||680 n⋅m (502 lbf⋅ft) at 1,900-6,750||tba||tba||3.5 [3.5]||316 km/h (196 mph)|
|gt facelift||2017||350 kw (476 ps; 469 hp) at 6,000||630 n⋅m (465 lbf⋅ft) at 1,700–5,000||216 g/km||9.3 l/100 km (25 mpg‑us)||3.8 [3.8]||304 km/h (189 mph)|
|gt s facelift||384 kw (522 ps; 515 hp) at 6,250||670 n⋅m (494 lbf⋅ft) at 1,800-5,000||219 g/km||9.4 l/100 km (25 mpg‑us)||3.5 [3.5]||310 km/h (190 mph)|
|gt black series||2021||m178 ls23,982 cc (243.0 cu in) twin-turbocharged v8 petrol engine||537 kw (730 ps; 720 hp) at 6,700-6,900||800 n⋅m (590 lbf⋅ft) at 2,000-6,000||tba||tba||3.2 [3.2]||325 km/h (202 mph)|
|gt3||2016||m1596,208 cc (378.8 cu in) naturally aspirated v8 petrol engine||552 kw (751 ps; 740 hp)||tba||tba||tba||3.0 [3.0]||332 km/h (206 mph)|
|gt3 evo||2020||tba||tba||??? km/h (??? mph)|
|gt4||2017||m1783,982 cc (243.0 cu in) twin-turbocharged v8 petrol engine||up to 375 kw (510 ps; 503 hp)||up to 600 n⋅m (443 lbf⋅ft)||tba||tba||3.5 [3.5]||??? km/h (??? mph)|
mercedes-amg gt black series (2021–present)
the gt black series is a high-performance variant of the mercedes-amg gt and was officially revealed on mercedes-amg’s youtube channel on 9 july 2020. the m178 engine in this variant is tuned to an output of 537 kw (730 ps; 720 hp) at 6,700-6,900 rpm and 800 n⋅m (590 lb⋅ft) of torque at 2,000-6,000 rpm. referred to as the m178 ls2, the engine has a slightly higher redline at 7,200 rpm compared to the gt r’s 7,000 rpm, and uses a flat-plane crankshaft instead of a cross-plane crankshaft, turning out in different firing order. additionally, the m178 ls2 uses a larger compressor wheel, resulting in an increase in boost from the gt r’s 19.6 psi to 24.6 psi. the gt black series accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.2 seconds and has a claimed top speed of 325 km/h (202 mph).
the suspension is unique, with a carbon-fibre anti-roll bar with two adjustment settings for the front axle, and an iron anti-roll bar with three adjustment settings for the rear axle. like previous black series cars, the camber is manually adjustable for both the front and rear axles. handling has been improved with carbon-fibre panels at the front and rear, as well as carbon-ceramic rotors and black series specific brake pads. the wing has an active aero flap, and contributes to a total maximum downforce of more than 400 kg (882 lb) at 249 km/h (155 mph). the michelin pilot cup 2 r tyres are specific to the car, and are available in m01a soft and m02 hard compounds.
carbon-fibre is used extensively for most of the body, including the hood, roof, hatch and underbody. the exterior gains an enlarged grille, based on the mercedes-amg gt3, large air outlets on the hood, manually adjustable front splitter, and upgraded rear wing as part of a major aerodynamic kit. the interior features standard amg performance bucket seats, and uses microfiber for the steering wheel, door and instrument panels.
on 4th november 2020, the mercedes-amg gt black series recorded a time of 6:43.616 with driver maro engel behind the wheel at the nürburgring nordschleife, making it the fastest lap time ever recorded for an unmodified production car.
in march 2015, mercedes-amg presented the amg gt3, a race version of the gt, at the geneva motor show, which employs the m159 6,208 cc (6.2 l) v8 naturally aspirated engine also used in the sls amg gt3. it consists largely of carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer to decrease the vehicle’s weight to under 1,300 kg (2,866 lb) to comply with fia regulations for races. in 2016, akka asp, black falcon, htp motorsport and zakspeed compete in the blancpain endurance series. zakspeed also competes in the adac gt masters. they claimed a 1-2-3-4 and 6 at the 24 hours nürburgring.
in the 2016 super gt gt300 class, the amg gt3s made their super gt debut with goodsmile racing with team ukyo, the number 11 gainer team, leon racing, and rn-sports opting to use the amg gt3s in favor of the sls amg gt3s that they used in the previous season. two mercedes customer teams, r’qs motor sports and arnage racing, opted to continue using the sls amg gt3s. both of them would switch to amg gt3s during the 2018 season, switching from sls amg gt3 and ferrari 488 gt3 respectively.
new zealand born driver craig baird gave the new amg gt3 its first race win anywhere when he took out race 1 of round 2 of the 2016 australian gt championship at the melbourne grand prix circuit on 17 march 2016. the round was held as a support race to the 2016 australian grand prix.
riley technologies entered two customer amg gt3s in the 2017 imsa sportscar championship gtd class. one of the teams cars finished 3rd in class and 20th outright at the 2017 24 hours of daytona before going on to win the gtd class and finish 16th outright in the 2017 12 hours of sebring.
a gt4 version of the mercedes-amg gt was presented at the 2017 24 hours of spa. this customer racing car is based on the gt r road version and it made its debut in the rowe 6 stunden adac ruhr-pokal-rennen race, the fifth round of the 2017 vln season.
as of june 2019, a total of 130 gt3 cars were sold.
an updated version of the gt3 was introduced at the 24 hours of nurbürgring in june 2019 for the 2020 season of the fia gt3 race. new technologies include an automatic data logger and analysis system, a function to automatically start the engine when the car is lowered from its in-built air jacks along with new brake and traction control systems. the design was also updated in line with the design of the new design update of the amg gt road car with the changes being the new headlamps and the grille with the latter providing better protection for the radiator. the front splitter and rear wing were tweaked in order for faster adjustments. the car uses the same 6.2-litre v8 engine as the previous model rather than the 4.0-litre v8 engine of the road car it’s the engineers stating the user friendliness and reliability of the engine as the main factor of its retention.
production and sales
|calendar year||production||us sales|
- ^ a b crawford, anthony (22 november 2014). “mercedes-amg gt designer says similarities with porsche 911 unavoidable”. caradvice.com.au. retrieved 17 october 2015.
- ^ a b gomoll, wolfgang (6 august 2014). “mercedes amg gt: dieser benz will dem porsche 911 ans leder”. focus.de (in german). retrieved 17 october 2015.
- ^ a b c d peters, marcus (29 april 2015). “mercedes-amg gt s im test—so gut ist der neue elfer-jäger”. auto-motor-und-sport.de. retrieved 14 july 2015.
- ^ a b c d e “the new mercedes-amg gt: driving performance for sports car enthusiasts”. media.daimler.com (press release). 9 september 2014. archived from the original on 10 september 2014. retrieved 9 september 2014.
- ^ “the new mercedes-amg gt”. media.daimler.com (press release). daimler ag. 16 april 2014. archived from the original on 4 march 2016. retrieved 10 september 2014.
- ^ ayapana, erick (24 october 2014). “amg boss: mercedes-amg gt to spawn gt3 race, street versions”. motor trend. retrieved 25 october 2014.
- ^ “$129,900 is the cost of the new mercedes-amg gt s”. www.arodmercedesbenz.com (press release). 29 january 2015. archived from the original on 12 february 2015. retrieved 12 february 2015.
- ^ “mercedes-amg gt s: bernd mayländers neues safety-car”. 9 march 2015. retrieved 3 april 2015.
- ^ “mercedes unveils new 2015 safety and medical cars”. racer. haymarket publications. 6 march 2015. archived from the original on 4 april 2015. retrieved 2 april 2015.
- ^ padeanu, adrian (20 march 2018). “mercedes-amg gt r revealed as the most powerful f1 safety car ever”. motor1. retrieved 23 may 2019.
- ^ lette van oostvoorne, nick. “2017 mercedes amg gt facelift – complete guide”. carwow. archived from the original on 5 february 2018. retrieved 29 november 2020.
- ^ a b “more sports cars from mercedes-amg on 50th anniversary”. mercedes-benz.com. 9 january 2017. retrieved 4 february 2018.
- ^ johnson, davey g. (12 november 2014). “15 rad things you need to know about the mercedes-amg gt s”. car and driver. retrieved 29 march 2020.
- ^ a b “the new mercedes-amg gt” (pdf). mbusa.com. mercedes-benz usa. 9 september 2014. retrieved 14 september 2014.
- ^ “car and driver track sheet—mercedes-amg gt s v8 biturbo” (pdf). car and driver. 16 march 2015. retrieved 14 july 2015.
- ^ “mercedes-amg gt c edition 50: review | pistonheads”. www.pistonheads.com. retrieved 4 february 2018.
- ^ “2018 mercedes-amg gt / gt c / gt s photos and info – news – car and driver”. car and driver. retrieved 4 february 2018.
- ^ kable, greg (24 june 2016). “mercedes-amg gt r revealed”. autocar. retrieved 24 june 2016.
- ^ “2018 mercedes-amg gt r”. top speed. 6 april 2017. retrieved 4 august 2018.
- ^ “mercedes-amg gt r 7.10,92 min nordschleife hot lap sport auto world’s exclusive first test”. youtube. 31 august 2016. retrieved 4 august 2018.
- ^ wendler, andrew (3 march 2019). “the 2020 mercedes-amg gt r roadster is one hair-raising car”. car and driver. retrieved 4 march 2019.
- ^ a b “the new mercedes-amg gt roadster and mercedes-amg gt c roadster”. mercedes-benz.com. 14 september 2016. retrieved 4 february 2018.
- ^ “mercedes-amg gt c and gt roadster unveiled in full”. evo. retrieved 4 february 2018.
- ^ “2021 mercedes-benz amg gt dark night edition”. daily revs.
- ^ “2021 mercedes-benz amg gt dark night edition”. autohome.
- ^ lawrence adams (10 january 2017). “detroit 2017: mercedes-amg gt facelift”. gtspirit. retrieved 4 august 2018.
- ^ meiners, jens (14 july 2020). “mercedes-amg gt black series is extreme, powerful, and here at last”. car and driver. retrieved 16 july 2020.
- ^ kierstein, alex (14 july 2020). “2021 mercedes-amg gt black series first look: meet the most powerful amg v-8 to date”. motor trend. retrieved 16 july 2020.
- ^ szymkowski, sean (14 july 2020). “2021 mercedes-amg gt black series busts in with 730 hp and gt3-derived aero”. roadshow by cnet. retrieved 16 july 2020.
- ^ schurig, marcus (3 march 2015). “die neue gt3-waffe aus affalterbach”. auto-motor-und-sport.de (in german). retrieved 17 october 2015.
- ^ 2016 australian gt championship – race 1 result[dead link ]
- ^ kilshaw, jake (25 july 2017). “mercedes-amg unveils gt4 contender”. sportscar365.com. retrieved 10 september 2017.
- ^ kilshaw, jake (16 august 2017). “mercedes-amg gt4 to debut in vln this weekend”. sportscar365.com. retrieved 10 september 2017.
- ^ sephen kilbey & graham goodwin. “new mercedes amg gt3 launched”. dailysportscar.com. retrieved 21 june 2019.
- ^ vijayenthiran, viknesh (21 june 2019). “mercedes-amg rolls out a sharper gt3 race car for 2020 motorsport season”. motor authority. retrieved 7 july 2019.
- official website