1 minute review
nationwide financial services, inc. (nyse: nfs) has been offering insurance for more than 90 years, and it’s one of the largest financial services companies in the world. that means it has the resources to pay your claims and the resources to provide prompt customer service. it offers a range of options for motorcycle coverage, including coverage for custom parts, custom bikes and vintage bikes. nationwide
writings primarily through its network of agents, which is a great option for those who prefer personalized advice and service. it also has a range of coverage, including homeowners, renters and auto insurance, so you can have more of your insurance in one place.
- people who prefer in-person customer service
- those with other nationwide policies
- high-risk rider rates
- having an assigned agent
- coverage for classic and vintage bikes
- easy claims process
- having to buy insurance through an agent
- no transparent pricing
with an a+ rating from am best, nationwide is a secure, well-established choice for your motorcycle insurance. learn more about its product offerings and more in this nationwide motorcycle insurance review
You're reading: Nationwide Motorcycle Insurance Review 2021 • Benzinga
full review nationwide motorcycle insurance
learn more about nationwide motorcycle insurance using our in-depth review of their products, coverage, features and more.
nationwide has an excellent selection of motorcycle insurance products. they include:
- bodily injury liability: this coverage helps pay the medical costs of other parties if you’re involved in an at-fault accident.
- property damage liability: if you’re found to be responsible for an accident, this coverage helps to pay for the damage to the other party’s vehicles or other property. bodily injury and property damage liability coverage are required by most states.
- uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance: this coverage helps with the costs if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. this coverage is required in some states.
- medical payments/personal injury protection: this protection helps with the medical costs of those involved in an accident, regardless of whether you’re found to be at fault.
- collision: if you’re involved in an accident, this coverage helps to pay for your motorcycle to be repaired or replaced.
- comprehensive: damage that’s not from an accident, including fires, theft and vandalism, will be covered by comprehensive insurance. having collision and comprehensive coverage is sometimes referred to as having full coverage.
- custom equipment: this optional coverage helps to pay for repairing or replacing aftermarket parts and equipment. you get $3,000 included with comprehensive coverage, and you can buy additional coverage up to $30,000.
- original equipment manufacturer (oem): this coverage helps to pay for repairs with oem parts when available, and if oem parts aren’t available, they’ll pay you based on the fair market value of the oem part.
- roadside assistance: this coverage pays for trip interruption expenses and more when you’re traveling more than 100 miles away from home.
nationwide’s premiums aren’t publically available. according to j.d. power, the average cost for a motorcycle insurance policy is $519. this price varies based on factors like where you live, how often you ride, the type of bike you have, your level of riding experience and whether you qualify for any discounts, which we discuss below.
nationwide has multiple options for getting in touch. one of the best resources is your agent, who can assist you with making changes to your coverage and more. you can also call nationwide at +61404532026. nationwide has a chatbot on its website that can answer many of your questions, and you can also contact customer service through its mobile app.
the nationwide mobile app has 4.4 stars in the apple app store and 4.1 stars in the google play store. it offers facial and fingerprint login, the ability to make payments, digital id cards, the ability to file and track claims and ways to connect with roadside assistance. overall, it’s a useful app, but android users, in particular, seem to have occasional issues.
nationwide also offers several options for paying your claims. your agent is an excellent resource throughout the claims process. you can also file a claim by phone at +61404532026, online or using the mobile app.
nationwide offers a variety of discounts to make your policy more affordable.
- vanishing deductible: you get $100 off your deductible each year up to a maximum of $500.
- multiple policy discount: using nationwide for other types of insurance can yield a discount.
- multi-vehicle discount: if you insure multiple vehicles with nationwide, even of different types, you can get a discount. for example, you could get a discount for insuring a motorcycle and a car with nationwide.
- motorcycle safety course: in addition to polishing your skills, taking a safety course can also get you a discount.
- theft recovery device: if you have a professionally installed theft recovery device (gps or radio), you can get a discount.
- homeowner discount: if you own a home, you get a discount.
- paying in full: if you pay your bill annually, you save money.
- anti-lock brakes: if your motorcycle came with anti-lock brakes, you’re eligible for a discount.
- riding groups: if you’re in a riding association, you may earn a discount.
nationwide offers an established track record and a variety of coverage options and discounts. you have an agent you can turn to for policy advice and other assistance. with its many product offerings, you can take care of your insurance needs in one place, simplifying your financial life.
is nationwide right for you? that depends on many factors. learn more about your motorcycle insurance options.
nationwide agents across the country get it. you’re just as unique as your bike. so no matter what type of bike you have and what you call it — chopper, hog, dirt bike, moped or enduro — and if it has 2 wheels or 3, nationwide can provide insurance coverage that protects riders on any road that’s traveled.
- vintage and antique motorcycles: nationwide offers an immense selection of classic car coverage. you can get vintage and antique motorcycle insurance policy products for classic motorcycles, and it covers kit and vintage bikes up to $30,000 per bike.
- mopeds: you might argue that a moped really isn’t a motorcycle. even by any other name, an increasing number of states now require moped insurance for the vehicle to be considered street legal. that includes mopeds with 50cc engines or smaller. nationwide covers mopeds and scooters with super fast 50cc engines to those with a 500cc engine for regular street use.
- scooters: if you want to ride your scooter on streets and highways, you’ve got to have insurance on it. insurance coverage still is extremely valuable even if you don’t plan on using the scooter every day for getting back and forth to work or play.
- dirt bikes: most states don’t legally allow them on the street, however, you and your dirt bike can benefit from being properly covered with insurance. nationwide’s dirt bike insurance options includes collision and comprehensive coverage, as well as personal property, bodily injury and medical payment coverage. if you use your dirt bike in extreme sports, those coverages are particularly important options.
- customized motorcycles: if you customize your bike, you can get a policy that offers $3,000 worth of protection for custom equipment and any other upgrades added to the bike. if you need more coverage, nationwide’s custom motorcycle insurance allows bike owners to protect custom parts for up to $30,000, and converted or custom tricycles are covered up to $50,000.
- sports bikes: riders often are drawn to high performing sports bikes, often called crotch rockets, because these supersports motorcycles are head turners that have far more horsepower than other motorcycles. that makes them faster, with the power to travel speeds up to 190 mph. as fun as they can be, riders are four times as likely to have fatal accidents than other types of motorcycles. that’s why various features such as an anti-lock brake system can affect policy rates. before setting out for a go-fast ride, discuss with a nationwide agent adequate and essential levels of coverage for these popular, speedy sports bikes.
- touring motorcycles: you can bring along all the essentials while traveling on a touring motorcycle. between the gps, radio, and the gear stored in the bike’s bags and panniers, be sure your contents are covered by balancing your homeowners’ coverage with the touring bike’s coverage for a worry-free traveling experience.
- 3-wheelers and auto cycles: whether you’ve got a converted or factory built 3-wheeler or an auto cycle, it can be protected with a nationwide motorcycle insurance policy. converted trikes may require additional custom equipment coverage to insure after-market modifications. auto cycle insurance varies from state to state: in some states 3-wheelers are considered and insured as motorcycles; other states require the same coverage as cars.
- multiple motorcycles: if you’re a collector or want to enjoy different bikes, nationwide offers policy options for numerous bikes covered under 1 policy for up to $50,000 for each bike.
- new and like-new motorcycles: original equipment manufacturer (oem) endorsements help ensure your motorcycles are repaired with new parts from the oem. if an oem part is unavailable, payment is based on the fair market value of the new part. this type of coverage is available for new motorcycles and until the motorcycle is 10 years old.
nationwide motorcycle insurance vs. competitors
how does nationwide stack up against its competitors? it offers its products through an agent network. many insurers no longer have agents, and with other companies, you could buy a policy without ever interacting with a person. that’s a benefit to some people and a drawback to others.
its motorcycle product offerings are similar to other carriers, but it also offers a full range of additional products, including homeowners, renters and life insurance.
available discounts and tips on getting the best rates
you can save money on nationwide’s motorcycle insurance by buying multiple policies like home, vehicle or life policies. you also can get discounts by bundling your other vehicles, boats, snowmobiles and atvs. here are some other ways you can save:
- motorcycle safety course: earn a discount on motorcycle insurance coverage by completing an approved safety course. visit the motorcycle safety foundation to learn about what types of courses are available.
- theft-recovery device: if you add a professionally-installed radio or gps theft-recovery system, you can save money on comprehensive coverage.
- homeowner: if you own a home, condo, townhome or mobile home, you’re eligible for a discount.
- paid in full: you’ll pay less for your motorcycle insurance by paying your entire policy premium in full when you buy or renew your policy.
- anti-lock brakes: if your motorcycle is equipped with a factory-installed anti-lock braking system (abs), you’ll get a discount.
- affinity member: get a discount just for being a member of a qualifying organization. nationwide partners with hundreds of organizations, including alumni associations, professional groups, sports groups and special interest groups.
- riding association: if you’re a member of the harley owners group or another riding association, you can earn a discount.
protect your motorcycle with nationwide
nationwide offers some of the best rates for “high-risk” bikers so we recommend it if you’re looking for a cheaper rate. want to learn more about motorcycle insurance? check out other motorcycle insurance companies and learn even more about motorcycle insurance.
frequently asked questions
how do i cancel my existing policy with another company when switching to nationwide?
the best course of action is to secure new coverage before you cancel another policy. so you’d start by contacting nationwide and getting a quote. if the quote seems reasonable, you’d send an initial payment and start your coverage. next, contact your current insurance company by phone or email and let them know you’d like to cancel the policy and provide an effective date. they will send proof of cancellation, which you should keep on file.
how do i notify nationwide after an accident or event?
nationwide makes it easy to report an accident or event. you can call +61404532026. or, you can file a claim on the nationwide website or using the mobile app. your agent can also assist you in filing a claim.
be sure to let nationwide know about an accident as soon as it’s safe to do so. document the incident with pictures and exchange insurance information with other parties involved. you may also need to get a copy of the accident report from the local police or highway patrol to submit with the claim.
recommended lecture: allstate motorcycle insurance review
money-saving motorcycle insurance
harley-davidson insurance services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. the company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. you’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.
you can get harley-davidson insurance today with a free, quick quote.