when you’re looking for solid motorcycle insurance coverage, you can count on state farm to offer options beyond minimum coverage. the carrier covers vintage and classic bikes, and that’s not always an option with its competition. but if you want an array of other choices, state farm’s motorcycle coverage may not be the one for you.
who’s state farm motorcycle insurance for?
no matter where you live and whether you’re a road warrior or just trying to get cheaper transportation to work, state farm has you covered.
You're reading: State Farm Motorcycle Insurance Review 2021 • Quotes • Benzinga
you’ll need motorcycle insurance to protect yourself, your passengers and your bike. even if you live in florida, where motorcycle insurance coverage isn’t required, you’ll probably want to get liability insurance. most states require it, and you’ll want protection in case you or a passenger is injured or sued.
just as you would shop for auto insurance, state farm offers some of the cheapest motorcycle insurance and is available in all 50 states. you’ll also be able to get some discounts, but you’ll have to contact customer service or a local agent to find the best deals and discounts.
state farm motorcycle insurance policy types
local state farm agents across the country understand that you and your bike are unique, and you need time and personalized attention to make sure you get the coverage you need. so whether you ride on a chopper or a hog, state farm can offer what you need to get and stay on the road.
here’s some policy info you need to know based on your bike type:
- vintage and classic motorcycles: state farm offers an array of vintage and classic motorcycle coverage to suit your needs.
- mopeds: an increasing number of states now require moped insurance for the vehicle to be considered street legal. state farm can get your moped covered.
- scooters: if you want to ride your scooter on streets and highways, you’ve got to have insurance on it. scooters can be just as risky as any other bike, so make you have the right coverage for it.
- dirt bikes: most states don’t legally allow them on the street, however, you and your dirt bike can benefit from being properly covered with insurance. state farm’s dirt bike insurance options include collision and comprehensive coverage as well as personal property, bodily injury and medical payment coverages. those coverage options are particularly important if you use your dirt bike in extreme sports.
- customized motorcycles: if you customize your bike, you can get a policy that offers protection for custom equipment and any other upgrades added to the bike.
state farm motorcycle insurance policy options
state farm offers more coverage than state minimums require, and it offers coverage for bodily injury, property damage and theft. here are some of the options for your policy:
- property: state farm protects against damage to someone else’s property for which you are legally responsible.
- bodily injury: you’re covered if you or a passenger is injured in an accident because of an uninsured motorist.
- damage: state farm covers any damage to your bike or property caused by an accident.
- theft, fire and vandalism: if your bike is damaged, stolen or catches fire, you’re covered even while your motorcycle is stored for the winter.
- custom motorcycle work: your unique paint job and other upgrades are covered.
- side cars: state farm offers extra protection for the side cars attached to your bike.
- emergency roadside expenses: your coverage pays for towing and other services when you break down on the road.
- protective gear: your helmet and other protective gear are covered if they are damaged in an accident.
- trip interruption: if you have extra expenses because your bike broke down away from home, you’re covered.
policy options rating: 5
available discounts and tips on getting the best rates
state farm includes services for auto, home and property, life, health, mutual funds and personal banking. the carrier offers an array of discounts when you bundle your motorcycle insurance with other lines of insurance.
be sure to speak with an agent before you purchase motorcycle coverage because discounts could vary based on the policy you choose to bundle it with.
here are some discounts that may be available to you:
- multi-bike: insure more than 1 bike and get a discount.
- anti-theft devices: protect your motorcycle from theft and potentially receive a discount as a reward.
- responsible driver: keep yourself accident-free on the road.
- safety training course: complete a safety course for extra protection and insurance savings.
- home ownership: get a possible bonus for owning your home.
- seasoned drivers: you may get a 5% discount if you’re 55 and older and who have completed a course.
price rating: 4
state farm motorcycle insurance coverage selections
state farm claims to offer extra coverage as part of its standard policies. coverage includes these 8 options:
- trip interruption: helps you pay for non-refundable expenses if your trip is delayed or canceled due to an accident, mechanical breakdown, theft, injury, unexpected illness, or some other covered event
- liability: pays for damages to someone else’s vehicle or bodily injuries when you’re legally responsible
- collision: covers damage to your motorcycle caused by an accident
- comprehensive: protects your motorcycle from theft, fire, vandalism and other non-collision accidents; applies when your bike is in storage
- uninsured/underinsured motorist: covers medical expenses when you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist
- roadside assistance: gets you needed assistance when you’re on the road
- accessories and custom parts: ensures your unique accessories and custom parts are covered
- full replacement costs: fully covers the costs of replacing your motorcycle at today’s market rates
with state farm, you can get customer care resources in a single place, and service is available around the clock:
- call +61404532026 for general inquiries.
- visit the state farm website for 24-hour attention.
- if you prefer facetime and personal attention, visit a local agent near you. input your zip code.
if you unfortunately have to file a claim, state farm offers options to do so 24 hours a day your way:
- online: submit a claim on state farm’s website by choosing the start a claim option.
- mobile app: report your claim details directly from your phone at your convenience.
- phone: call 800-sf-claim (+61404532026) to file a claim any time, day or night.
- local agent: if you prefer the local and personal touch, contact a representative in your area for a warmer claims experience.
availability rating: 5
pricing and value
the cost of motorcycle insurance depends on a variety of factors. depending on where you live, your driving record and how much your bike costs to replace, the price can range from $200 to more than $2,000 per year.
the price varies by state, city and even your neighborhood and zip code. your bike will cost more to insure if you live in an area with a higher crime rate.
but perhaps more than where you live, your driving history and past insurance claims are 2 important factors that affect your rate. past claims and traffic infractions could cause your rates to be higher.
you can control your rate by being a good driver and having good credit, but you can’t control other factors like your gender, marital status and age — which do affect rates as well. if you’re an older driver, you may get a cheaper rate because of it. you can probably count on paying far more if you’re in a high risk group like single men younger than 25.
safety rating also can affect your ratings. state farm offers a motorcycle ratings tool to make it easier to find out how your bike ranks based on annual state farm data.
select your make, model and type of bike to see ratings for:
- comprehensive coverage
- collision coverage
- bodily injury/property damage liability coverage
state farm has mixed customer reviews, but that may be reflected on the customer base it serves around the nation. although you may find less expensive carriers that offer more discounts, state farm is a good choice because it carries many types of insurance policies you can bundle.
what else you should know
if you’re anxious to buy a new bike, state farm can offer you something other carriers can’t: financing for your new motorcycle with competitive rates and no application fees. to apply, visit statefarm.com.
if you’re not completely happy with what state farm touts, you can look for other motorcycle insurance companies that may offer more discounts and coverage options. don’t hesitate to explore cheap motorcycle insurance other carriers offer that could be a better fit.
just like you, there’s no one insurance company or type of coverage that will be perfect for every biker — the way you ride and the places you want to go. it’s important to take your time to make sure you know what coverages you want. ask other bikers and an agent your questions to make sure you understand everything before you sign on the dotted line.
overall rating: 4.7
harley-davidson insurance services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. the company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. you’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.