there’s nothing quite as breath-taking as your first ride on a motorcycle. you feel the wind in your face, the speed of the bike beneath you, and see the horizon looming just ahead.
bikers are known for their many adventures, but far too often, they neglect to think about the legalities of owning a motorcycle, especially when it comes to temporary motorcycle insurance.
You're reading: The Easiest Way to Protect Your Motorcycle Ride This Season
whether you’re heading out on vacation, renting a bike for the weekend, or borrowing your friend’s motorcycle for a few weeks, you need to make sure you’re covered with the right kind of temporary motorcycle insurance.
our independent agent matching tool will find you the best insurance solution in your area. tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll recommend the best agents for you. any information you provide will only be sent to the agent you pick.
what is temporary motorcycle insurance?
just like the drivers of other vehicles, motorcycle drivers are required to have insurance before they head out on the highway. however, you might not need an ordinary policy if you only need coverage for a short period.
Read more: Motorcycle Insurance | Spangler Insurance
temporary motorcycle insurance is designed to offer short-term coverage to motorcycle riders who only plan to drive for a few days, weeks, or months.
know the risks of driving a motorcycle
driving a motorcycle is exhilarating, but it can also be very dangerous. even a routine accident can become serious because motorcyclists don’t have the protection provided by an enclosed vehicle.
according to the national highway and traffic safety administration, motorcycle drivers are 35 times more likely than car drivers to be involved in a fatal crash. in 2013, for every mile traveled, the number of motorcycle-related fatalities was more than 26 times higher than car-related fatalities.
- motorcycle crashes in the us in 2014: 87,000
- fatal motorcycle crashes in the us in 2014: 4,694
- motorcycle-related fatalities increased by 36% from 2000 to 2014
while wearing a helmet can go a long way toward preventing traumatic brain injuries, no helmet can keep you perfectly safe. even if you manage to survive a crash on a motorcycle, you will face serious financial and legal problems if you don’t have adequate motorcycle insurance.
that’s why every driver needs coverage, even if they are only using a motorcycle for a few hours. temporary motorcycle insurance is designed to protect you in the event of an accident, paying for repairs to your bike along with other involved property.
types of temporary motorcycle insurance
if you are searching for short-term motorcycle insurance, you have several options to consider. the type of policy you choose will ultimately depend on how long you need coverage.
typically, the rates are higher for policies with shorter terms than those with longer terms, but it can vary dramatically depending on the driver and the type of motorcycle.
- daily motorcycle insurance: if you are simply renting a motorcycle for an afternoon of fun, you only need a one-day motorcycle insurance plan. this is typically provided as part of the rental agreement. however, make sure you ask before you hit the road so that you can have peace of mind knowing that you’re covered in case of an accident.
- monthly motorcycle insurance: if you plan to only drive your motorcycle for a month, you can purchase a one-month motorcycle insurance policy. in many cases, drivers have the option to renew on a monthly basis for as long as coverage is needed. this is ideal if you are traveling with your bike and only need coverage for the length of time you will be on vacation.
- seasonal motorcycle insurance: many motorcyclists who live in the northern states choose to ride only during the summer months. seasonal motorcycle insurance policies provide coverage only during a set term so you can avoid paying premium for the months when your motorcycle isn’t in use. this is sometimes called 6-month motorcycle insurance.
- motorcycle storage insurance: for bikers who put their motorcycles in storage for weeks or months at a time, motorcycle storage insurance is a smart option. this protects your bike in case of theft or damage, but is less extensive than the policy you would need if you were riding the motorcycle.
who needs temporary motorcycle insurance?
short-term motorcycle insurance is beneficial in many situations. here is a look at who needs to invest in this type of coverage rather than a traditional motorcycle insurance plan.
- renters: whether you choose to rent a motorcycle for temporary transportation or simply for a few days of fun, you need a short-term motorcycle insurance policy. depending on how long you plan to keep the rental bike, you can invest in daily, weekly, or monthly insurance.
- travelers: if you own a motorcycle that is only used while you are traveling, you can opt for temporary motorcycle insurance during the times when you plan to ride. this is often the best choice for snowbirds who only ride during the winter months when they visit the warm, sunny beaches of the south.
- seasonal motorcyclists: if you prefer to store your motorcycle in the winter and ride only during the warm summer months, a temporary policy could save you hundreds of dollars on your premium each year.
- international drivers: for motorcycle drivers who are not permanent residents of the united states, temporary policies offer a way to have the required insurance during the time they are in the country, without investing in a long-term motorcycle insurance plan.
never take a ride without coverage
whether you choose to ride your motorcycle weekly, monthly, or seasonally, the most important thing to remember is that you need insurance. uninsured drivers are a danger to everyone and the risk is certainly not worth saving a few hundred dollars on insurance bills.
do your part to keep the roads safe and invest in a reliable temporary motorcycle insurance policy before you take your bike out for a spin. an independent insurance agent can help you find the best type of temporary motorcycle insurance for your unique situation.
our saw local agents can help you assess your current driving habits and determine which coverage option will provide you with the maximum protection from common motorcycle risks.
contact an agent today to get a customized quote and learn more about temporary motorcycle insurance.